Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Price History.

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby aviator » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:18 pm

Hi Mark.

I own a cash mutual fund in three separate accounts. When I attempt to download historical prices for all securities in all accounts, I get a message saying that this fund is not found on Yahoo's historical quotes server.

Problem is, I'm not attempting to do a price retrieve on this security. The investment properties for each fund (in three separate accounts) has Retrieve Price unchecked under Internet Retrieve. However, the Update Price when Retrieve Transactions box is checked (but, IMHO, shouldn't affect historical prices).

I'm stumped. I've checked hidden investments to no avail. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
aviator

Postby aviator » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:33 pm

Hi Mark,

Please disregard my previous post. I found the offending culprit.

May I politely suggest that the message about quotes and servers also include other vital information other than just symbol? Would make it much easier to find if the subportfolio the security is in was also displayed.

Thanks.
aviator

Postby Djobydjoba » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:24 pm

Wow, this was exactly the same work I was doing today: try to find the culprits, that is the investments with errors for historical prices downloading.

This can be tricky because:

- the symbol means nothing sometimes, and can be specific to a quote server (for example: F0GBR04D0V on Morningstar, or 100047775 on FondChecks). And when the page on the website doesn't exist anymore to tell what is the investment name....

- we can have several instances of an investment in several subportfolios.

- the symbol can be nested in the Advanced Options as an alternate quote server.
And sometimes, when the command "New Investment from Existing" is used, we can forget, in the new investment, to blank the alternate quote server of the original investment... So it is even harder to find in this case.

I support the suggestion to help to locate investments with price retrieve warnings.
This was my motivation to support this request too: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4677&p=19497#p19497
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:25 pm

Hi aviator and Djobydjoba,

Thanks for the feedback, I can see how it would be helpful to add this information. We can try to improve this. Some more global "Find" features is also something we're considering.

For now, a way to find all these is to create a simple Portfolio Value report and list by Investment and filter by the symbol you're trying to find. If you hover your mouse over each listed investment, the sub-portfolio hierarchy is shown in the status bar. The investment name will also be shown. You could also create a Custom report with this, but I find it quicker to just use a Portfolio Value report, so you don't have to select fields.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:30 am

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the tip. It doesn't help to find a symbol when in the field "Use Alternate Symbol when Retrieving from Historical Quote Server" though.

As a side note, as far as I'm concerned I use a lot this alternate symbol possibility. In my setup current prices are retrieved (automatically) 4 times per day, and historical prices are retrieved (manually) once per week. If historical prices are not available for some reasons the current prices downloaded each day will do the trick. So this ability to specify an alternate symbol for historical prices is really useful to help secure the price retrieval, by choosing a different server for each task (current and historical price retrieval).
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:02 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Understood.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General