Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

How can I remove an empty sub-portfolio?

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Econdoc » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:04 am

My portfolio WAS structured as follows:

Master Portfolio Level 1
Husband Level 2
Retirement Level 3
Fund H1
Fund H2
Taxable Level 3
Fund T1
Fund T2
Joint Level 3
Fund J1
Fund J2

Wife Level 2
Retirement Level 3
Fund W1
Fund W2

I thought that I could just drag the Joint account and its contents from Level 3 to create a new level 2 sub folder below Wife. FM would not allow me to drag and drop the sub folder.

I then created a new subfolder named Joint and dragged the contents of the Level 3 Joint account to the newly created Level 2 Joint account. It looks like this now:

Master Portfolio Level 1
Husband Level 2
Retirement Level 3
Fund H1
Fund H2
Taxable Level 3
Fund T1
Fund T2
Joint Level 3

Wife Level 2
Retirement Level 3
Fund W1
Fund W2

Joint Level 2
Fund J1
Fund J2

Note that the EMPTY Level 3 Joint account still exists. I cannot get rid of it! Can you tell me how to fix this?

P.S. I wrote this message in a much better format with spaces and indents to show the structure. All leading blanks and all tabs got removed. Apologies for the unintended tabular layout. :cry:
Econdoc

Postby Mark » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:44 am

Hi Econdoc,

You can do what you originally wanted, and move that Joint account to be under Master Portfolio, so it is a new "level 2" sub-portfolio. You have to drag Joint from the right, and drop it onto Master Portfolio on the left (in the tree view). Please watch this Sub-portfolio Tutorial for a demonstration.

You can close a sub-portfolio by using the Portfolio Editor. Right click on the desired sub-portfolio and choose "Close", or use the menu command "Edit / Close".

On the forum/space issue, if you have some text you want to retain formatting, if you select it in your post, and press the "Code" button at the top, this will retain your formatting. You could even go back and edit your prior post now. Here is an example:

Code: Select all
Master Portfolio
  Sub 1                           Level 2
  Sub 2                           Level 2
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General