Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Reports and Dividends.

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby aviator » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:05 pm

Hi Mark,

Two questions, please:
1) I must be missing something, but how do I have the currency symbol displayed on currency fields (on reports and portfolio editor)?

2) Is there a report to show historical dividends a security has paid (regardless of whether reinvested or distributed)?

Thanks.
aviator

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:18 pm

Hi aviator,

1) You can display the currency in the Portfolio Editor by adding that field to the list view. Use "View / List Columns..." and add "Currency". For reports, the currency symbol is usually not shown, unless the item is different from your default currency. If it is different (and "View / Exchange Rate Adjusted" is off), it depends on the report on how the currency label is shown. For example, in the Portfolio Value report, the non-default currency is labelled in the "Value" column. In a Custom report, it will be appended to the investment column. You can also add it specifically as a field in the Custom report if you wish.

2) If you want a sum of the dividends paid, use a Custom report with "Dividend distributions (between)" field. This will include both reinvested and distributed dividends.

If you want details on each separate dividend transaction, use an Investment Transaction report, and filter to only show that one investment (or symbol if you want and have multiple investments in that one symbol), and turn on "Reinvested Distributions" and "Distributed Distributions" but leave only "Dividend" checked, so you only see that type of distribution.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby aviator » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:29 pm

Sorry, let me clarify #1. I'd like to see the currency *symbol* on fields that contain currency values. Right now ten dollars is displayed as 10.00. I'd like to see it as $10.00.

Thanks.
aviator

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:34 pm

Hi aviator,

There is no global option to turn this on everywhere. FM kind of decides the appropriate place to display currency symbols. Is there some place in particular you're looking at?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby aviator » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:41 pm

I guess I've never noticed before, but none of my currency fields have a currency symbol. I'm a single-currency user -- the dollar -- and when I drill down into my portfolio editor, none has a dollar symbol (namely price, value, basis and gain on the portfolio editor screen).

If this is by design, may I offer feedback that this be user controlled? Very helpful to differentiate currency fields from others when the currency symbol is appropriately displayed.
aviator

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:47 pm

Hi aviator,

Yes, this is by design, mostly to reduce clutter. When you say "currency field", I'm understanding you mean any field that would be appropriately labelled with a currency? This would be any price or value based field.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby aviator » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:52 pm

Yes, correct. Any field that contains a currency value is what I'm calling a currency field. Just feel it would be useful to distinguish currency fields from others by allowing users to display (or not display) the currency symbol. Especially after staring at numbers for long periods of time.
aviator

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:53 pm

Understood, thanks for the feedback/idea.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby aviator » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:29 pm

Just to be crystal clear, in addition to price and value that you mentioned, I would also add basis and gain.
aviator

Return to General