Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Reopen Closed Investments

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby hoop » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:24 pm

Mark,
I have apparently "closed" a number of "sold" investments instead of "hidding" them. Now my portfolio value graphs look really weird. How can I best recover from this poor decision on my part? I wanted to restore my portfolio from a previous date but am having a hard time determining which one to restore.
Thanks
Greg
hoop

Postby Mark » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:11 pm

Hi Greg,

You could either fix it manually, or restore.

Fix manually: Right mouse click on the sub-portfolio where a closed investment needs to be re-added, and choose "Open Investment(s)...". Select all the investment files that should be opened. You can select more than one at a time, but only select those for the selected sub-portfolio.

Restore: Use "File / Restore..." and choose a *.FMB file dated right before you made the change you want to undo. Open the *.FMB file, and choose the restore option "Restore Selected Items Only", and pick the "Portfolio" file only in the "Files in Backup" list. Restore to the original location, and open restored portfolio after restore.

Also, see our tutorial on hiding investments.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby hoop » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:16 pm

Mark,
I made these changes shortly after upgrading to 2018 ver3. I went back to ver2 and everything is fine.
I would simply reopen the closed investments if I knew which ones they were. Is there any type of log file that would show me which ones I closed?
Thanks
hoop

Postby Mark » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:02 pm

Hi hoop,

No, there is no log file that would show this. What do you mean ver3 and ver2? What is fine by going backwards in versions?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby hoop » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:59 am

I went back to the previous version of FundManager software 2018.15.2 vs the latest version 2018.15.3.
hoop

Postby Mark » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:09 am

Hi hoop,

Changing the program version should have no impact on your data. Which investment files are open is stored in your *.mm4 portfolio file, and should be independent of program version.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby hoop » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:09 pm

I'm running Fund Manager on a Macbook Pro under WineBottle so who knows what it did when I installed the new version. Probably copied all the files to a new location. I gotta build me a new PC.
hoop

Postby data8504 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:03 am

I have a possible solution...

Since you're on a Mac (like me, but I run FM in a Windows VM), I suggest you do the following. Launch a terminal then type:

Code: Select all
find . | grep -i \.dat$

This will surely return a lot of false positives, (.dat files that are NOT investments), but contained in this long list should be your actual FM data. For example, in my case:

./Google Drive/Fund Manager/mehiltne_fmdata/HSAFMAGX_1_1.dat
./Google Drive/Fund Manager/mehiltne_fmdata/IAP Fund.dat
./Google Drive/Fund Manager/mehiltne_fmdata/IBM19790668.dat

So now you can navigate to that folder:
cd ./Google\ Drive/Fund\ Manager/mehiltne_fmdata

Then dump the last modified date of each file:
ls -lt

At the top of this list will be the files most recently modified. That is, investments currently "open." Some ways under here will be filed that are slightly more stale. These will likely be the investments you actually closed.

Perhaps a complex solution, but it should work...

-Matt
data8504

Return to General