Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Problem with "New Investment File Format"

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Impromptu » Tue May 01, 2018 4:48 am

Three of my DAT files seem to have become corrupted. I get the above error message on load and the option to convert the supposedly old DAT files fails.
This has happened overnight - everything worked fine yesterday and I haven't actually updated the software (unless it's been automatically done).
What are my options here? I'd rather not have to re-enter the entire investment histories. Would rolling back to an earlier version help?
Thanks in advance.
Version is 2018-15-3-100.
Impromptu

Postby Mark » Tue May 01, 2018 8:33 am

Hi Impromptu,

I would double check you are really using the 2018.15 series. Verify by looking under "Help / About...". If you are using this version, then the files are corrupt, as there is no newer version. If this is the case, then you can restore these particular investments from a backup. Fund Manager can make automatic backups. See "Options / General Preferences... / Data" for the location of your automatic backups. Use "File / Restore..." to pick a backup file, based on date modified. When you restore you will be given the choice to restore everything, or just selected items. You can pick just the corrupt investments to restore, or if you haven't made any other changes since that backup you could also just restore everything in the backup.

(Fund Manager is not capable of updating the main program version itself. The only way that can happen is if someone downloads and installs a new version. It doesn't sound like this is the case in this situation anyway.)
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Impromptu » Tue May 01, 2018 11:21 am

Thanks for the response. Must have been a file corruption.
I'd actually re-entered the info, but the auto backup feature is worth knowing about.
Impromptu

Postby Impromptu » Wed May 02, 2018 5:47 am

Mark.
Got everything back up and running. But I have a couple of suggestions.
1) It would be really useful to have a 6-month roller option for graphs. A good range for at-a-glance reference (more for an investor than a trader).
2) Is there still a need for Yahoo Finance API support? That duck is pretty much dead now - in fact its violent demise was the reason I bought FM. My spreadsheet, lovingly crafted over years, just turned to porridge overnight and I didn't have the heart to rewrite the macros...
Impromptu

Postby Mark » Wed May 02, 2018 7:12 am

Hi Impromptu,

Glad you got your data straightened out.

1) Okay, thanks. Ideally we could even customize all these pre-defined date ranges.

2) I didn't follow this suggestion? We don't have anything called Yahoo Finance API support. The only thing related to Yahoo is the quote servers, which do still work well, and are the default quote servers. Can you point me more specifically to what you're describing?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Impromptu » Wed May 02, 2018 1:09 pm

Ah. Well, to clarify I - as I think a lot of others did - used to use Yahoo in macro calls from spreadsheets. They dumped full free access late last year. I have my investments keyed to a range of different data sources, mostly Reuters, in FM now.
As to the other issue - I can understand the programming challenges involved in making rolling date ranges fully bespoke - not sure that's necessary. Just feel that the jump in availability from 3 months to 12 months is a bit... violent? Don't see why there shouldn't be a 6 month option. If you're into MA analysis and such, that's a useful range. If you're not, it's just generally a useful range.
Anyway, thanks for a good product - a bit quirky to learn, but very good for an investor (ie not a trader) like me. I feel that's rather where your core market is.
Best wishes to the team.
Impromptu

Return to General