Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

sgst: Backup - Incremental naming needs 2+ numerals

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby rlaggren » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:50 pm

The naming I see goes "FM2_1.fmb" "FM2_2.fmb" ... "FM2_10.fmb" "FM2_11.fmb"... etc.

This is less than ideal, at least on my system, because the next decimal, eg. "10", does not sort after "9" but, rather, after "1" in the "Save Backup As" dialog opening from the main menu File/Backup; the Restore dialog sorts the same way. Thus two issues:

1) For manual backups, one cannot just look at the last entry to find the next appropriate name, but has to "pick through" the list to ascertain what the next incremental file name should be.

2) Since _which_ backup one restores from can have considerable impact, it seems worth making it as easy as possible to avoid mistakes.

One of my file managers sorts the way I'd hope and/but another sorts the way the dialog box does. The world is mysterious.

Just FWI. Thanks

Rufus
rlaggren

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:30 am

Hi Rufus,

If you're looking for the latest backup, you cannot go by this number. FM overwrites the oldest backup when creating a new one. So, if you have your automatic backups set to 30, and there is already 30 backups, it finds the oldest one, and overwrites that. This means your lower numbered backups could be more recent than your higher numbered backups. To find the latest one in the list, sort by Date Modified of the file instead of the filename.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby rlaggren » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:33 pm

Ah. Very glad that came up. I was running on assumptions...

Thank you for the clarification.

Rufus
rlaggren

Return to General