Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

suggest - Generic Import - skip lines?

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby rlaggren » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:09 am

I find that many csv files come with a first line that defines the columns. This is quite useful initially to define the import.

But when I leave the 1st text line intact and import the csv file (with the data format properly spec'd), FM complains.

Since when importing regularly from csv files, reducing any manual changes to a minimum greatly reduces chance of error and time cost, would it be possible to add an option to skip the first line? And while at it, possibly an option to skip lines beginning with one of the usual "comment characters", eg. "#" and ";"? This latter would facilitate editing certain lines out of source files while automatically maintaining an audit trail.

But the 1st line issue is the main one, for me at least. It would completely eliminate editing for most of the csv files I handle.

Rufus
rlaggren

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:21 am

Hi Rufus,

Are you asking about the generic transaction or price import, or both? For the generic transaction import any line in the importing file beginning with the # character is ignored, as these can be used to store comments in your import file. Any lines with invalid data will be skipped, so you should be able to put a header line at the top without issue. Do you have an example of a case where only adding the header line causes an error message?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby rlaggren » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:25 am

Mark

I'm talking about generic Price import. Glad to here the transaction import s/b bullet proof.

Rufus
rlaggren

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:36 am

Hi Rufus,

Okay, thanks, we can see about improving the generic price import in this area.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General