Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Initial purchase, new investment dialog

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby kfank » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:30 pm

I have FM 2014. The New Investment dialog does not have a value field like the Buy/Sell dialog. This continually creates a problem for me when entering intial purchases that do not have an integral price per share value (i.e, price per share * num shares = value with fractional cents). In this case I have to make up a share price to create the investment and then go edit it to fix up the correct value (which then usually results in an irrational share price, but who cares - it is what it is).
BuySell.PNG
BuySell.PNG (15.85 KiB) Viewed 1733 times

NewInvestment.PNG
NewInvestment.PNG (32.97 KiB) Viewed 1733 times

Is there a way to enable the value field on the New Investment dialog so that the correct value can be entered there?
kfank

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:57 am

Hi kfank,

Sorry, there isn't an option to add value onto the New Investment dialog. You have a couple options:

1) Just leave the shares blank, or set to 0. Set the price to a closing price for the date, or just set it to 1, and overwrite that price later by doing a price retrieve. After you create the investment, use the Buy/Sell dialog.

2) Calculate the price/share and enter them into the New Investment dialog. Just take the value, and divide it by the shares, and enter this into the Price box, to as many decimals as necessary.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby kfank » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:05 am

Thanks for the response, Mark. I would suggest this is an area for improvement to reduce the number of steps required.

Kurt
kfank

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:20 pm

Hi Kurt,

Okay, thanks for the feedback.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General