Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Arithmetic error?

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby rlaggren » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:27 pm

FndMgr_stat_compare.png
DataRegister detail does not appear to match the amount shown in the Portfolio item line for that stock; the total portfolio value including all three holdings is north of $56mil - the same problem occurs for each item.
FndMgr_stat_compare.png (72.02 KiB) Viewed 1444 times

I'm guessing not, but I don't right off see why a problem remains after I corrected an initial data entry error.

I'm running the eval version under Wine on Linux. It appears to run OK, but I'm having a couple problems, this being the most peculiar.

When setting up a test portfolio, it was not able to pull the current prices from yahoo, wsj, or cnn. I left that until later and entered three holdings manually. It appeared that I managed to enter the value of each position where it expected the _price_ - it seems, although, I really did think it wanted the value... Have to go back to the wizard and see how I managed that.

The resulting portfolio totals were extra large and I noticed that and saw the problem. From the Portfolio Editor I edited each of the three holdings to insert the correct price and have it extend the correct value. Although it gave me some trouble at first, refusing to take the entries, by changing the order in which I changed the fields I got it to accept the new amounts in the price field and extend the value for each holding. Good, I thought. But the Portfolio Editor still shows a huge total value for those three holding, just like it did after I managed to enter the wrong figures to start with.

So far, I haven't found my wrong turn, but it was a really easy wrong turn and it has a huge affect. Can anybody tell me how this happended?

Thanks

Rufus
rlaggren

Postby Mark » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:12 pm

Hi Rufus,

Fund Manager records both closing prices and transaction prices. The market values you're seeing in the Portfolio Editor are based off your closing prices, not your transaction prices.

When you enter a transaction for a date where you have no closing price recorded, FM will also record a closing price, using your transaction's price. It sounds like you recorded the transaction with the wrong price, and you went back and corrected the transaction price, but not the closing price. In the Data Register, change the "Data Type" in the upper/right to "Prices", and then edit your incorrect closing prices.

Also, it appears you have some invalid characters in the symbols of your investments (notice the squares). This is likely a reason why you are unable to retrieve prices. Right mouse click on these investments, and choose "Properties..." to edit the symbol.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby rlaggren » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:18 pm

Figured it was something simple. I have only messed with securities for the past few weeks and don't have all the jargon and procedures down pat. One reason I'm looking for good software.

I did notice the "fake" characters in the text fields; that's pretty sure the result of cut/paste from a spreadsheet running on linux and might/maybe disappear when letting the software import from a file. TBD. Hope you're right and that fix solves the price-retrieve problem, too.

Thank you for the quick'n'clear reply. Also, your Generic Trans Import Dialog documentation page seems very nicely done, too. The import tool promises to be very nice.

Cheers

Rufus

Rufus
rlaggren

Return to General