Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Download trying to duplicate one security

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Bruce » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:35 pm

I'm trying to set up transaction download with RBC, using the right-click portfolio, selected "retrieve transactions". I have a couple of questions. (FYI: I do have transaction download working for two other brokers.)

First.
Four bonds paid a dividend. The FM "preview importing transactions" window says one is a new security. It isn't. I've tried to debug this by verifying the cusip is correct in FM security properties, and it is identical to what is on the RBC paper statement. What should I look at in FM?

Second.
Looking at the preview importing transaction window, I don't understand what I'm seeing. An asset pays a dividend that is not reinvested, it should go to the cash account. However, every asset dividend has a similar cash "sell" a few days later. I'm speculating that this might relate to the account having a banking sweep feature... that if I were brave enough to accept this downloads, the asset distributions would have a corresponding cash-account deposits. But then all these cash-sells would be FM trying to sweep the cash to some bank account. Is this a fair interpretation of what's happening? What do I do to straighten this out?

I can send you a jpg of what I'm seeing.

Thanks.
Bruce

Postby Mark » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:42 pm

Hi Bruce,

#1) It is the CUSIP that matters for transaction retrieve, so you do want to make sure that is correct. One technique you can use is to right mouse click on the transaction that says it will create a new investment in the Preview dialog, and choose "Transaction Details...". That should show you the CUSIP and account #. If you make sure your existing investment in that account has that CUSIP, it should go into that existing investment.

#2) Yes, I think you are correct, it is a cash sweep account. You have a couple of options with a cash sweep account. You can track both the "sweep" cash, and also the regular settled cash, or you can just not record the sweep transactions, and only keep track of the regular cash. You might have to un-check some retrieved transactions if you choose this. It might be easier to just track both, so you don't have to un-check imported transactions. You might like to watch this Cash Tutorial.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Bruce » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:31 pm

I replied to this but it appears it didn't stick. :( Don't feel like reinventing / typing the details again, so am going to be very brief.

CUSIP issue. Looked right, but couldn't make the software happy. Let the download module create a new one. Fat-fingered in the history (too afraid to trust the download module). Deleted the old bond and hunted all the corresponding cash transactions and deleted them too.

Cash sweep issue. I picked the simplest account. Transaction module retrieved nine transactions of which 3 were sweeps so needed to be deleted. 2 more were an interest on cash buy / sell pair which also needed to be deleted since I don't see a way to convert them to a distribution of type interest / reinvested. Fat fingered the interest transaction in to the cash register.

I want to verify that this is the type of manual activity you expect of the user?

I see the Advisor version has more robust data handling / broker interface. Does it automate this?

In your previous reply you sent a like to the basic cash account set-up tutorial. I re-watched it and found it irrelevant to this conversation since it doesn't mention sweeps. Did you intend to send some other link that does mention sweeps?

Thanks.
Bruce

Postby Mark » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:25 pm

Hi Bruce,

The Advisor version doesn't have any more advanced features for retrieving transactions. Once you get things set up with the default cash account, you really shouldn't be needing to do any manual entry normally. I did mean to send a link to the Cash tutorial, mostly just to understand the concepts. Different brokers do things differently with respect to cash, so understanding the abilities and how the default cash account works can let you determine the best way to set things up for your broker. If you still have troubles getting it working without manual entry you can give the office a call, and we can take a look at it together.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Bruce » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:03 pm

Let me know your phone number and when to call.

Send an email address and I'll send a jpg of how i selected / deselected downloaded transactions to make it reconcile and match reality. I think you have my email address via registration. I will be in today and out tomorrow. Thursday is unknown.

Thanks.
Bruce

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:24 pm

Hi Bruce,

The office phone number is 480-705-0129. You can call between 9am-5pm MST M-F, except we are closed tomorrow. You can call on Thursday, or any day later. I don't think you need to send an image, we can do a web meeting when you call, and you can show me.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General