Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Cloud Mode / Multiple Pcs

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby matteopeo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:15 am

Hi Mark, I would like some advice on the best way to have FM on two PCs (main and travel).

My current situation is:
- FM Personal installed only on my main PC, in the default C:/Program Files;/Fund Manager directory - Not using the cloud mode function;
- Portfolio and investment data saved in the cloud (Dropbox folder)

What is better now:
- Install FM in the travel PC hard drive, without using cloud mode and save/retrieve investment data from the dropbox folder, or

- Reinstall FM in the same dropbox folder on my main and travel PC and using the cloud mode, with data in the existing dropbox folder too?

What would the advantage of cloud mode over normal HD install if I can still access the same data from the shared cloud folder?

In case you recommend to use cloud mode and re-install FM from my main PC to dropbox, is there anything I need to be aware of to ensure a smooth transition?
Can I simply cut/paste the folder with Fund Manager exe from my hard drive to dropbox and toggle cloud mode on, or do I need a new install? And if I need to re-install, how do I avoid losing data?

Apologies it it sounds a little silly, but I would rather avoid making a mess and potentially losing a couple of years worth of data... (sure I would backup l data before the start anyway..)

Cheers,

Matteo
matteopeo

Postby Mark » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:03 am

Hi Matteo,

You could do it either way. The benefit to cloud mode over having it installed on each PC is that all your preferences (memorized reports, fonts, etc) are stored on the cloud also, rather than on each local PC.

I would suggest doing a backup using "File / Backup..." first, and save your *.FMB somewhere safe before you make any changes. Next, read the portable/cloud mode instructions, and follow those. I would suggest installing FM to the cloud drive, instead of just copying the program folder. All the instructions are in the above link.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby matteopeo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:48 am

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply and support. I have installed in the cloud and now using cloud mode on both PCs. No major issues, other than a small initial confusion whereby it created a GlobalView1 and GlobalView2 portfolio files, copying the original GlobalView. Similarly every investment had a _1 and _2 copy. I simply deleted all copies (both ofr portfolios and investments) and it now seems to run smoothly with no data loss on both PCs.

One more question though:
Now in my main PC I still have the "old" exe file in the HD under the C:/Program Files:/Fund Manager pathway.
Shall I simply delete the whole folder or would it be better to do an uninstall (in which case, can I avoid removing the data files, as they are still in use?)

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated

Matteo
matteopeo

Postby Mark » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:47 am

Hi Matteo,

Glad you got it working. Generally we recommend using "Set Data Location..." to move your files to the cloud drive. It will take care of everything, including if you had data files in multiple locations on your PC originally. You can still use it to verify all your data is coming from the same cloud folder.

You can safely delete the program folder on your PC. You could also run the uninstall program, and it will not remove any of your data files. The more conservative way to go would be to just delete the program folder.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby matteopeo » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:32 am

Hi again Mark,

I initially deleted the folder, but did not quite like to have the Fund Manager app in the start menu, which gave an error (fm.exe not found type). I restored and then uninstalled, which gave a much more satisfying result.

All working and data/setting correctly shared between the 2 PCs.

Thanks again for the great software and top support.

Cheers,

Matteo
matteopeo

Postby Mary Kennedy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:52 am

Hi Mark. I moved my FM to the cloud some time ago and it seems to be working well. I'd like to now delete remaining files on C drive but am nervous about it. I am attaching a list of all the folders I am aware of and I want to get your permission to delete.

One reason I am nervous is that there is ONE FILE on the hard drive that reflects a new purchase, and I am not sure why that got stored on C rather than on the cloud

The second reason I am nervous is that within the main (cloud-based) FM folder, where normally there are subfolders Autoback, Fund Manager Data, and Samples, I have two sets of these, one embedded within the other.

Would you mind providing some guidance on what can go, what to keep, etc?
Attachments
FM Files on MarysComputer.docx
(17.54 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
Mary Kennedy

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:53 pm

Hi Mary,

Try this:

1) Exit Fund Manager using "File / Exit" if it is running.

2) Start Fund Manager by double clicking on FM.exe on the cloud drive.

3) Check the option "Options / General Preferences... / Data / Portable/Cloud Mode" and make sure it is checked. Also, verify the autoback location. When portable mode is enabled, this is a path relative to the FM.exe location.

4) Use "File / File Operations / Set Data Location..." and make sure it says all your data is currently coming from the cloud drive.

If all of the above is true, you should be fine to delete anything on your C: drive, but it sounds like you may have some files still coming from the C: drive. If so, use Set Data Location to move them to the cloud drive, and re-check. Make sure you are always starting FM from the cloud drive. Check any shortcuts you may be using, to see where they are pointing. You might also like to re-read the documentation on the portable/cloud mode feature.

Also, before just deleting files from your C: drive, try moving them into a temporary folder with a different name, like "Old Files", just in case. Do the deleting while FM isn't running, and then start up FM and make sure you don't get any errors about missing data files.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General