Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

In-app Help system not working

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby dcayne » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:11 am

Just updated to FM Pro 2018. Installation went fine, and the app is working fine with all my data. But the in-app help system doesn't work properly. I had the same problem with my previous installation, and hoped the new installation would fix it, but no such luck...

Whenever & however I open Help (whether via the Help menu or a contextual Help button), the Fund Manager - Online Help window opens, and displays the Contents and the Index in the sidebar, and the Search function properly finds and lists relevant topics. But no actual content ever displays when double-clicking anything in the sidebar, or when selecting something and then clicking the Display button.

My installation is somewhat non-standard, but every other part of the program works fine with it. The FM program directory, and my files in its Data directory, are stored in what's effectively a network directory. I'm also running Windows 7 on a Mac using Parallels (v13). Nonetheless, all the file paths work fine for starting the app, working with data files, backing up, etc. Only Help doesn't work properly.

The fm.chm help file is located in the same directory as the program. Double-clicking to open it directly works as expected, but has the same problem as opening help from within the app: all the sidebar contents display properly, but no actual help topics will display.

I imagine the problem could be with some old preference or registry entry pointing to an incorrect location for the help content (I've been using FM since at least v12), though I would have expected a fresh install to correct that. I've even Uninstalled the whole program, and then reinstalled it, but the problem persists.

This problem has driven me crazy for years, and made FM much harder to use, being unable to use contextual help. Can anyone help me troubleshoot and fix this problem?
dcayne

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:47 am

Hi dcayne,

I suspect it is because you are viewing the CHM file on a network drive. This is a known issue, and I believe is because of a security issue patched by Microsoft. You can google it, and you'll find a lot of information on it. It does look like you can override this security patch. I have not tested it, but you might try this.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dcayne » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:19 am

Thanks, Mark. You ID'd the root cause correctly. While the solutions in the link you sent didn't solve my problem directly (though I later learned how I could have made it work, with even more Registry entries & Internet security option changes), they did point me in a direction that helped me come up with a better solution (an Advanced Settings change in Boxcryptor).
dcayne

Return to General