Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Renaming Investments

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby codybear » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:20 am

Hi Mark,

I wanted to rename an investment and by some chance, I was able to pop up a dialog where the .dat name was editable. I changed it, pressed ok and it went and renamed the investment file which I thought was cool. But now for the life of me, I can not figure out how I got there so I can do it with another file. I keep clicking properties, but no edit box for the file name. It was so easy the first time, I didn't make a mental note of how I got there.

Yes I know about "save as", but then I have the extra step to delete the old file.

How did I get to the original dialog that I found?
codybear

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:24 pm

Hi codybear,

The "File / Save Investment As..." dialog is the only way to rename an investment file. (Well, technically the Set Data Location... command can also sometimes rename a file, but that isn't what you're looking for.) No command will delete any investment file, so if you wanted to rename, and remove the old file, you'd have to go into Windows and manually delete the old file.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby codybear » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:10 pm

Don't ask me how I got to it, but you have a secret dialog, that apparently you do not know about. This secret FM (not windows) dialog that I have never seen before has an editbox for the investment file name, populated with the existing name. Changed name, pressed ok and within a second the windows name changed in the folder and FM was completely functional. How I got to it is the big mystery. After 30 minutes of trying to find that same dialog box, I gave up and did the "save as", which I followed up with a windows delete.

Anyway, if you ever find it, please make it more accessible, it worked great. This secret dialog does exist, and no, I'm not confusing with a windows dialog. I'm a programmer. Maybe search your code for "rename", "ReplaceFile", "MoveFileEx". "MoveFileTransacted", "DeleteFile", etc.
codybear

Return to General