Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Moving Files

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby codybear » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:13 pm

Hi Mark,

I did read a fair number of the posts and didn't quite see my situation. As I am running 2003, I've had significant problems with downloading transactions. I'm still kicking the can down the road to upgrade, so as a temporary solution, I want to use 2007 to at least download the transactions. I intend to use the portable/cloud setting on both computers. But first I need to get the files out of "My Documents" to a more general folder. Unfortunately, "File / File Operations / Set Data Location..." is not a solution because I have and prefer a directory tree which does not move over with the Set Data Location.

So I'm editing the registry and found that it appears that I'm using HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-220523388-1417001333-839522115-1007\Software\Beiley Software\Fund Manager\CurrentVersion as compared to the expected HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Beiley Software\Fund Manager\CurrentVersion or at least based on the Recent Portfolio List. Just wanted to make sure something is not messed up. Many years ago, my original install put the data files in Program Files, but that had to be changed when I removed Administrator rights. Can't remember if I regedit or not but I did keep the directory tree.

Anyway, just checking if I should have had two "CurrentVersion". And as a install suggestion, maybe allow choosing the location because after the changes, I'm still not sure how well the 2007 computer will play with the networked data.
codybear

Postby codybear » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:22 am

Hi Mark,

Just got done regediting on the new install and see that under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Beiley Software\Fund Manager\CurrentVersion that there is only a windows key.

At this point, because I really do not want to delete duplicate keys in my registry, I just need a better understanding of what portable/cloud mode actually does. I tried to have that checked on the second install but FM wouldn't let me autoback to the network drive, only locally. I have to have that option unchecked to have autoback to the network drive.

So the question is. If I don't use portable/cloud mode and only access FM (installed on local drive) on one machine at a time, would that work? I just need a better explanation of what portable/cloud mode actually does.
codybear

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:45 am

Hi codybear,

You might like to see the portable/cloud mode documentation.

In this mode, all your preferences are stored locally, in fmprefs.txt, instead of in the registry. This mode allows you to keep everything (program/data/preferences) in a single location you can move around, like with a USB drive for example. When using this mode the automatic backup directly must be specified with a relative path, which is relative to the directory where fmprefs.txt (and FM.exe) are stored. The idea is you would keep your backups on this same portable drive, instead of some other drive.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General