Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Not getting alerts sent to Yahoo mail address

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Homer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:41 pm

Hi,

Is anyone else not getting alert e-mail messages when an alert is triggered in Yahoo? I even went in an tested the alerts set up under options. I added another address to a gmail address and the test came through. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Homer
Homer

Postby Mark » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:19 am

Hi Homer,

Did you check your spam folder on Yahoo?

What sending configuration are you using? Are you sending through an SMTP server? Is it a reputable SMTP server? Do you have a valid "From" address entered, so the SMTP server could return the email if it failed to deliver it?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Homer » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:55 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the things to check. It is smtp and it should be reliable as it is our ISP and phone company. I do have a from e-mail address and that account shows no failures.

Fortunately, I have now added a second e-mail address that seems to work on the test, so we will see. Also, the last test I ran seems to have trickled in last night. Perhaps there was a technical issue.

Thanks,

Homer
Homer

Postby Homer » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:40 pm

Well, I think I spoke too soon. Alerts for tonight again absent from Yahoo but showed up in Gmail. Some other strange behaviors in Yahoo also.

"That's one". ( to Yahoo)

Thanks,

Homer
Homer

Postby Homer » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:49 am

Homer wrote:Well, I think I spoke too soon. Alerts for tonight again absent from Yahoo but showed up in Gmail. Some other strange behaviors in Yahoo also.

"That's one". ( to Yahoo)

Thanks,

Homer

OK, maybe its not Yahoo, but my ISP. I try to send and email from the ISP provided e-mail (Windstream a.k.a. Break Wind, because it stinks) and it only shows up in gmail also. Go figure.

Homer
Homer

Postby Mark » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:55 am

Hi Homer,

Fund Manager sends it to whatever SMTP server you specify. From there, it is up to that SMTP server to relay it to the final destination. At this point it is out of the control of Fund Manager. There can be many reasons the email doesn't get delivered. Your SMTP server may not relay it. Yahoo may decide to drop it, etc. Debugging that is outside the scope of what we can support here, but if you want to get to the bottom of it, I'd suggest contacting your ISP who runs the SMTP server. They can at least tell you if the message got forwarded, dropped, rejected for some other reason, etc. You would hope that if the SMTP server fails to relay it, they would return it to the sender (your from email address), but maybe that isn't happening. My guess would be that they are relaying it to Yahoo, and Yahoo is either putting it in spam, or maybe just dropping it altogether for some unknown reason.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General