Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Autobackup

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby senior » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:12 am

I use FM for four portfolios and as a daily routine I access these one by one using File/Open portfolio/Name and enter new data. Of course, I want to have my data secured and so I adjusted the autoback preferences with the aim to save them daily and to keep up to 35 backups (see attachment).

To my disappointment this does not produce the required results as I get no backups with the exception that only one of the portfolios is backed up daily. It took me some days to discover that only that portfolio will be updated that is open when I finally close FM.

I don't know whether this is intended in this way. When I go through my daily routine I open portfolio #1 with the Open Portfolio button, then enter my data and open portfolio #2 again with that button, then enter the data and open portfolio #3, enter the data and do same for portfolio #4. When I'm ready I close FM with the button (small cross) in the upper right corner. As a result only portfolio #4 is updated by the autobackup function and portfolios #1,#2 and #3 are not.

Do I really have to close FM after working on each portfolio and relaunch FM for the next one?

Greetings,
Peter Petula
Attachments
Prefs.JPG
Autobackup prefs
Prefs.JPG (51.78 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
senior

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:02 am

Hi Peter Petula,

For this scenario, yes, you would. FM runs the automatic backup on whatever portfolio is open at the time of program exit. It does not run the automatic backup on closing a portfolio file, only on program shutdown. You might consider combining your 4 portfolio files into 1. This is generally the recommended structure, as it makes managing your data much easier. You can use sub-portfolios to separate your data, just as you can with separate sub-portfolios. When you only have 1, you only have to do 1 price retrieve, 1 backup, etc. It makes managing your data easier. You can also switch between data much easier, as all of your data is always open, no need to switch to a different portfolio file to see data from that other portfolio file. It is quite easy to merge multiple portfolio files. You use copy/paste to select the whole sub-portfolio and transfer it all at once. See this tutorial.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby senior » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:49 pm

Hi Mark,

with your answer you have confirmed what I assumed with regard to the autobackup. Thank you very much. By the way, the linked tutorial is very helpful and simple to understand. Quite a lot of good work you've done!

Greetings,
Peter
senior

Return to General