Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Currency column in Portfolio Editor

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Djobydjoba » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:53 am

Hi Mark,

Something that always seemed at little bit strange to me is the behavior of the Currency column in the Portfolio Editor. What is displayed here is the currency defined in the investment properties. So, when the Exchange Rate Adjusted option is on, the displayed currency is not the currency of the displayed price. So, why not display instead the currency for the displayed price, when Exchange Rate Adjusted is activated?
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:24 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I somehow missed this post. You're right, this isn't the best way to display this field. I think we'll change it to work like the "Currency" field in the Custom report. This displays both the assigned/native currency as well as the currently displayed currency.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi Mark,

A suggestion, for what it's worth: three fields (columns) available so the choice would be left to the user:
- assigned/native currency : same as currently
- displayed currency
- assigned/native currency AND displayed currency in the same column

Another feedback related to currencies. The transactions have to be entered with values in the assigned/native currency of the investment. Why not display in the transactions dialogs (buy/sell, etc..) a reminer of this currency, like: "Values should be entered in XXX".
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:17 pm

Hi Djobydjoba,

Thanks for the ideas. We may just keep it simple and have the one Currency field, which shows both. I like the idea of displaying the assigned currency in the transaction dialogs.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi Mark,

I'm not very sure of this request anymore. I've looked at the Currency field in the Custom report, as you suggested it could be the change. Having the same currency displayed twice most of the time in the Portfolio Editor seems a little bit too cluttered to me.

20180115-lun.00h57-01.png
20180115-lun.00h57-01.png (4.33 KiB) Viewed 3361 times

The current display is perhaps the best. In the Portfolio Editor, it makes sense to have the native currency, as it is the main view to manage investment properties. In the status bar we have the info if the price is converted or not.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:26 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Thanks for the feedback. I think you may be right. If you do want the greater detail, it is available in a Custom report.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby osinv » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:16 am

Hi, I just updated my personal 2018 version to 2020 and now the currency in the portfolio editor is shown twice.

€(€)
€(€)
and so on

When previously I just had

which was much better for me. When I use multiple currencies I click in "Exchange" and I can see it in the other currency

$
$
Rather than

$($)
$($)
like I have now.

Maybe I have done something wrong but can you help me get it back to just displaying the currency once instead of twice?

Thanks,

Oscar
osinv

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:49 am

Hi Oscar,

This field was changed to be:

Assigned and displayed currency. Shown as "N (D)" where N is the native/assigned currency, and D is the displayed currency.

So, if you have an investment assigned to € the beginning part will always show €. When you have "View / Exchange Rate Adjusted" turned off, the second part will also show €, but if you have that option on, the second part will show the symbol of your default currency.

An investment in € should never show as $ ($), but it could be € ($).

If you prefer, you may also like to turn on the new option:

Options / General Preferences... / Portfolio Editor Display / Display Price/Value Fields With Currency

That will put the currency symbol in front of all your price and value fields to more easily see your current displayed (D) currency.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby osinv » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:50 am

Thank you Mark.
osinv

Return to General