Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

"no Proxy"

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby managerusers » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:13 am

Hi Mark,
I want to upgradeto 2018 professional.Unfortunately, you have taken away the option to checkbox "no Proxy" in internet settings. Therefore, in order to use fundmanager, I need to go into control panel, Internet Options, connection, lan and then I need to uncheck the box and recheck when I am done.
Without going into more detail, can you put the option for "no proxy" back into the program? It would be helpful, it is fairly standard in many programs, and eventually others will ask for this as well I think.
Thanks Mark.
managerusers

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:36 am

Hi managerusers,

The option "Options / Internet Settings... / Use Proxy Server" was eliminated even back in FM 2016. The last version that had this was FM 2014.

Some history here... We used to support handling the low level communication protocol within FM, or be able to use Window's to handle it (WININET). This was controlled with the "Use Windows Settings" option. The proxy server option was only available when we handled the communications. When using WININET the options are all set through Windows. Many quote servers now require HTTPS, and our low level communications support did not handle HTTPS. Instead of developing this, we have switched to always using WININET, which handles HTTPS.

Is there some reason you can't just set the option in Windows the way you want to access the internet, and then leave it that way?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby managerusers » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:32 pm

Hi Mark,
I normally set Control Panel/ Internet Options/ Connections/ LAN/ to;
Use a ProxyServer
Address 0.0.0.0
Port 8080
I don't use Internet Explorer.

All of my other programs have always worked with these settings (including as you have pointed out, FM), except of course IE.
Is there any way for me to leave those Control Panel settings and do somethng specific just for Fundmanager?
managerusers

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:07 pm

Hi managerusers,

It seems like those settings will prevent IE from working, or any other program that relies on WININET, such as Fund Manager. Is there some reason you're setting them this way? Do you purposely want IE to not be able to access the internet?

I don't know of a way to apply your connection settings specific to a certain program, like Fund Manager.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby managerusers » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:22 am

Hi Mark,
Yes, in simple terms IE does not access the internet. No other programs have an issue with the settings, since where needed, the programs offer the option of "no proxy". Your program offered this as you said, until version 2014.

Now, I have a few problems which I hope you can advise me on;

First, if there is a way to leave my settings "as is" that would be most helpful. Having to go into control panel to undo my proxy settings every time I wish to run FM is a time waster for me.

Second, if necessary, I am willing to stay on FM2014 if that is the only way i don't have to constantly change my proxy settings. The problem is, since I intended to update to FM2018, I changed the format of my portfolio when FM2018 prompted me. Is there any way to undo or fix this?

Third, aside from removing the security settings I have (blocking IE from internet), is there any other possible work around? Antivirus, Firewall updates, many other programs all have an option for "no proxy", thereby allowing the blockage of IE and the use of VPNs.

Thanks Mark.
managerusers

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:06 am

Hi managerusers,

I took another look at the WININET functions, and see that it appears you can specify to bypass the proxy server. It would be easy enough for us to add this option. Let us try this, and see if we can't make it available for the next release. If you'd like a pre-release with this option added please let me know.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:08 am

Hi managerusers,

In looking at this I notice Chrome also uses the proxy settings specified in Windows, without a "No Proxy" option. What other programs are you using that have a "No Proxy" option? What do you use for a web browser?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby managerusers » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:41 pm

Hi Mark,

That will be great, thank you very much. I can really use the pre-release version as soon as you are ready.

In the meantime, shall I pay for the latest upgrade now? I presume yes?

As far as the “no proxy” option, it is in Firefox, which I use. It is also in Avast in the update area, it is in Tresorit in the network section. It seems to be programs that have some sensitivity when it comes to security / privacy seem to have it.

Also, Microsoft programs seem to completely ignore the “proxy” or “no proxy” setting, they just go through regardless. No big surprise there! Many other programs ignore the setting too.

This will be really helpful and save a lot of time. I am a longtime user and will continue to be. Thank you again Mark.
managerusers

Postby Mark » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:40 am

Hi managerusers,

I have just now emailed you a pre-release with this new option implemented. See that email for instructions.

Yes, you can buy the upgrade anytime.

Thanks for the info on the other products that have this option.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby managerusers » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:44 am

Hi Mark,

I received the "Pre Release" version and it seems to work well. Thank you very much. A great timesaverfor me!

I also ordered the upgrade without incident. Now, I look forward to looking at all of the changes / improvements you have made to the program.

All the best. Good weekend.
managerusers

Return to General