Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Update error

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby osinv » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:41 am

I am unable to update from FM version 2016.14.15.100 to the new 2018 version. After downloading FM 2018 I get this error when I try to install it:

I omit this file and continue the installation but when finished I launch the program and get this second error:

Actually I had this same error a couple of weeks ago when installing the purchased 2016 version over the trial version, but everything seemed to work fine afterwards so I forgot about it.

I should say I run FM on a Mac with parallels.
osinv

Postby Mark » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:44 am

Hi osinv,

It looks like there is some permission problem. Here are a couple suggestions, I would try these in the order I mention here:

1) Try re-starting your PC (not sure how this works in the Mac/Parallels world). Right after it re-starts, and before you run Fund Manager, run the installation program.

2) If #1 does not work, you can manually delete all the program files in:

C:\Program Files\Fund Manager (x86)\Fund Manager

and then try to install it. In that folder will be a .exe file, some .dll files, and a .chm file. You shouldn't have any *.dat or *.mm4 data files.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby osinv » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:06 am

Thanks Mark. Option #1 didn't work and for Option #2 I managed to manually delete all the files except fm.exe. When I try to delete this one I get this message:

"This action can't be completed because this file is open by Fund Manager."
osinv

Postby Mark » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:15 am

Hi osinv,

Do you have Fund Manager running? Make sure it isn't running. It can't be hidden to the tray either. You can either re-start Windows, and not start it, or use "File / Exit" from within Fund Manager to exit the program. If you can't manually delete the fm.exe the installation program won't have permission to do it either. Somehow it sounds like it is still in use...
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby osinv » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:40 am

I managed to close it using Windows Task Manager and then delete it. FM 2018 installation is now complete and working.

Thank you for your help, Mark.
osinv

Return to General