Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Portfolio Editor Wrong % Total?

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby osinv » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:28 am

The % calculations that I see in my Portfolio Editor Total for different portfolio don't seem to be calculated correctly. I am new to FM so not sure if I may be doing something wrong?

Thanks

osinv

Postby data8504 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:34 pm

@osinv - I agree this looks a little weird. I'd expect to see the aggregate % Change somewhere in the middle of all the component % Changes (a weighted average, in fact). However, you're using the -LD (last data) column, which has added idiosyncrasies.

Can you add the "Last Price" column to your portfolio editor and check that all your investments have recent pricing data? (ideally, all updated as of most recent market close.)
data8504

Postby osinv » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:25 pm

Thank you for your help data8504. Here is another screen-shot with the latest prices for each asset as well as a short historical of one of the mutual funds (aZvalor Iberia). The reason I use % change-LD instead of % change is because the % Change value is showing always as a "0" for mutual funds when the last price is not yesterday's price but instead it's delayed by 1 or 2 days.

If this is the way % Change is supposed to work -it does not compare last available price with the previous but instead it compares today's price with yesterday's price, so 0 vs 0 = 0% change- then I will not be able to use this as many European Mutual Funds are usually delayed by the above mentioned 1-2 days in reporting price.

Thank you again for taking the time to help.

osinv

Postby osinv » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:28 pm

I am sorry, if you can see the full screen-shot, check this link instead:

https://postimg.org/image/61g3x01ep7/
osinv

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:23 pm

Hi osinv,

A couple of possibilities:

1) You have some hidden investments. Turn on "View / Hidden Investments/Portfolios" to see if any have a non-zero value, that could be affecting the portfolio number.

2) The portfolio number may be for a different date range than the investment line. The "% Change - LD" is a bit different, in that it looks at the percent change from the default ending date of that line since the day before the default ending date. The default ending date for an investment is the date of the latest recorded price on or before the current date. The default ending date for a portfolio is the latest default ending date of any investment in that portfolio. So, if you have a portfolio with a stock with a price on 10/12/17 and a fund with the latest price on 10/11/17, the portfolio's default end date will be 10/12/17, while the fund's default end date is 10/11/17. You can create a Custom report with "Value (ending)" and "Value (beginning)" fields, and in the Report Settings dialog under Date Settings, choose "Week to date" for example. That will set the ending date to the default end date for that sub-portfolio. You can then change the start date to the same date and create the report. This should give you the start/end values that are being used for the % Change - LD calculation for this sub-portfolio.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby osinv » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:54 pm

Thank you Mark. No hidden investments so I guess it's the different ending date between portfolio and some of the investments.

However, I don't seem to be able to get a % change value from any investments. As an example, all of these in the screen-shot have a "today's price" and a different "yesterday's price" but "0" % change indicated:

osinv

Postby osinv » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:20 am

Please forget my last comment. The reason for a "0" under % change is due to the market not being open yet, it's working correctly now.

Coming back to the "% Change L-D" topic, perhaps it'd be good to have a "Value Change L-D" column also. As mentioned before, most European Mutual Funds publish their price with one day delay and thus the "% Change" and "Value Change" columns always show a "0" whereas the "% Change L-D" and a potential new "Value Change L-D" might be a very good solution.

Thanks
osinv

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:32 am

Hi osinv,

Yes, a "Change-LD" field would be helpful. You can use that Custom report technique I wrote about before to obtain this data now. Another suggestion is to add "Last Price" field to your Portfolio Editor view. You can then see what dates are being used for the "% Change-LD" calculation for each of the investments, and your portfolio. The field calculates back from the last recorded price data point on/before the current date.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General