Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Need help to order manually the investments stack

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:30 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

The "revert" stack order gets read in whenever you read in a portfolio file. (That happens at program startup automatically usually because of the "Options / General Preferences... / Data / Open Last Portfolio at Startup" option, which is on by default.) It doesn't update the "revert stack" when you save your portfolio. This really wasn't intentional either way, but that is how it works. I updated the verbiage in the documentation on the investment stack to clarify this point.

The Revert Order command puts the investment stack back to how it was read in from the currently open portfolio file.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:43 am

Understood. It's not bad it works that way, because we can revert to the initial order after an "unintentional saving" of the portfolio file.

Thanks.
Djobydjoba

Postby Djobydjoba » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:48 am

Hi Mark,

This is really a minor feedback. I have come to think it would be a little better to update the "revert stack" state when the portfolio is saved, instead of when it's loaded.

Here's why. When we order manually the investments (as I do, I order them very carefully), we really don't want to mess the order by mistake. So, each time I have to save the portfolio, I do a "revert stack" before, to be sure.

For example, each time I have to create a new investment, I:
1) do a "revert stack"
2) create the investment(s)
3) order it (them) manually in the stack
4) save the portfolio
5) close and restart FM (to update the "revert stack" order).

The step 5 is important. If I omit it, go and use FM thinking all is well saved, and then if I have the bad idea to do a "revert stack", the order of the new investments are messed.

This can be quite confusing when we don't really know how it works. So IMHO it seems a litte better to update the "revert stack" state when the portfolio is saved.

Again, really minor thing.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:49 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Understood, and that does make better sense. For your step #5 you could just re-open the same portfolio file, instead of re-starting FM. Your currently open portfolio should be listed at the top of the MRU list on the bottom of the File menu. Just select it to re-read it in, and that will reset your loaded investment stack order.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General