Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Sell all shares?

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Econdoc » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:02 pm

I want to do something very simple but cannot figure out how to do it!!
I want to sell ALL shares of a stock. The redemption dialogue box will ask for value and shares. Where can I find the total number of shares held and copy it into the shares box? Seems like a simple thing to be able to do.
I can find the number of shares in a Portfolio Value report, but cannot copy the shares data from the report.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Econdoc

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:49 am

Hi Econdoc,

There isn't a real easy way to copy only the ending share balance to the clipboard. There are lots of ways to view this information, and you can export it to a CSV file, or copy it with other data to the clipboard, but copying only the ending shares isn't available. You can view this data in a report, in the Portfolio Editor, or in the Data Register. If you're entering a sell transaction in the Data Register, the share balance is displayed in the bottom of the Data Register.

We can consider adding as a feature the ability to copy from that share balance field displayed in the Data Register.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Econdoc » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:33 am

Thanks for the reply, Mark. It would be nice if it were possible to mark/copy from any screen! Reports, dialogues, Data Register, etc. I assume there is a reason to disallow copy?
Econdoc

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:28 am

Hi Econdoc,

There is no reason to disallow copy, and most places you can copy. It is just a matter that you can't copy only a particular piece of text from a report. It hasn't been disallowed, it just hasn't been built in as a feature. Reports do not have the ability to hilight/select text. They are mostly display only, and not interactive in terms of selecting specific text. I agree it would be nice to add this, but it is not trivial to add in the formats currently used for reports. You can copy a whole report to the clipboard, but that isn't what you're looking for here.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:37 pm

Hi Econdoc,

We've made this change in FM 2018 Beta 4, which you can get now on the Beta download page.

Look in the Data Register. The "Share Balance" and "Market Value" values displayed can by selected and copied to the clipboard.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Econdoc » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:18 am

Thanks, Mark. That looks great.
The Beta version says that I have an unlicensed copy of the program. The install instructions say that I cannot go back to the previous version because of a storage format change.

Have I lost my license as a result of installing the beta? :cry:
Econdoc

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:07 am

Hi Econdoc,

You still have your prior license, and can go back to that version, but you would need to restore your data from a backup made with the prior version.

The Beta version will continue working until after the official release of the 2018 version. If you want to use the 2018 version you can purchase an upgrade for your license after the official release, and then you will have a new license for the 2018 version.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General