Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Yesterdays Activity Disappeared?

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby heidiasst » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:50 am

Came in this morning and noticed a few issues with balances and discovered that everything I entered yesterday is gone.

Nothing extraordinary happened. I closed down the same as always, it automatically backs up.

Any idea what might have happened?

I did re-enter a few of the items, closed out and opened it up and the changes I made this morning are still there.
heidiasst

Postby Mark » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:21 am

Hi heidiasst,

I can't say what happened, but here are some possibilities, and techniques for tracking it down.

Possibilities:
- Somehow the investments did not save. (Exited without saving, the computer shut down abruptly, etc.)
- Multiple people are accessing the same data files, and someone else overwrote your data.
- You are working with a different set of files today than you were yesterday, like maybe a copy of your data stored in a different location.
- Some sort of data backup/restore program restored your data files from before.

Debug techniques:
- Test that if you make a change, exit, and re-start the change is still there.
- Look at the date/time modified of your investment (*.dat) and portfolio (*.mm4) files. See if this matches what you would expect. Look at one that is missing saved changes, and that you haven't worked with yet today.
- Verify the full path and filename of your investment and portfolio files, and make sure they are coming from where you expect.
- Do you have an automatic backup (*.FMB) from last night when you exited? If the date/time of that automatic backup is after your changes were saved, try restoring from that. Do a backup first, so you can undo the restore if necessary. Are the changes saved in that automatic backup? Look at the "original location" of the files in there. Is that what you have open today?
- If you have multiple people accessing your data, make sure they are not accessing it at the same time from the same location, see this FAQ on multiple users sharing data.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General