Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

how to register dividend in an other currency

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby gerard » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:32 am

I have a fund which is listed in EUro's. The dividend payments are in USD. How can i register this in Fund manager ??

currently i have this investment in a sub-portfolio with default cash account in euro
The investment itself is also under properties in euro.

I'm not able to say the dividend payment is in USD .

Please advise Thanks

Gerard
gerard

Postby Mark » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:48 am

Hi Gerard,

All transactions in a given investment have to be in the same currency. You can't have mixed currencies within a single investment. You can decide how you'd like to handle this case, but you could record the dividend in the investment using a value equivalent in Euros. Sell the Euro cash that gets deposited, and buy USD cash for the amount of the USD dividend.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby gerard » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:20 am

Oke Mark,

More and more funds (ETF's) in my portfolio are noted on the stock exchange in EUR, while distributing dividend in USD. It is a lot of work to make an additional buy/sell transaction for each dividend payment (monthly/quarterly) .
An alternative is maybe: Can I make a sub-portfolio with default cash is USD, while fund price is in EUR ? I assume that all buy and sell's then need to be convertert ?

My preferred solution is to have the possibility to link two cash accounts EUR (Buy and Sell) and USD (Distribution)
gerard

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:26 am

Hi Gerard,

Yes, if you put this ETF in a sub-portfolio with a USD default cash account, when you receive a dividend from the ETF the proceeds will automatically be converted to USD and deposited in your USD cash account. The exchange rate used can either be set as a transaction specific rate, or if it isn't specified your global exchange rate will be used. See the documentation for more details.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby gerard » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:13 pm

Mark,

thx but this still doesn't solve the problem completely. The ETF invest prop is in EUR. As you suggest I placed this investment in a portfolio with a default cash account in USD. Now the broker issues a distribution, (dividend) in USD, IF I fill in this USD value in Fundmanager distribution transaction. Fund manager sees this distribution still as an EUR value. To make this work, I still have to manual convert USD to EUR.

I just switched to your fundmanager 2020 and hoped that it was solved in the new software. due to your remark "added the choice of which cash account to use in the Buy/Sell and Distribution dialogs when using multiple currencies. If the investment being edited is not in the default currency and there are multiple cash investments of differing currencies in the same sub-portfolio, you will be given the choice of which cash account to use. You can also choose to not record a corresponding cash account entry.

thanks Gerard
gerard

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:25 pm

Hi Gerard,

All transactions must be entered in the currency assigned to the investment where you are entering the transaction. If your investment is assigned to EUR, then your transactions must be specified in EUR. You can't have transactions in multiple currencies within a single investment.

The feature we added to FM 2020 just allows you to pick which cash account to send the proceeds of your transaction. It doesn't change that you still have to enter all your transactions in the currency assigned to the investment. If you want your buy/sell transactions to go in/out of EUR cash, pick your EUR cash investment when recording a buy/sell. If you want your dividends to go to USD cash, pick the USD cash investment, but you still have to record the dividend in EUR in your EUR investment, and then it will be converted to USD when it gets deposited into USD cash.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby gerard » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:56 am

Mark,

thanks, clear for me. I'll convert by hand

Gerard
gerard

Return to General