Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Unable to remove portfolios from FM although deleted files

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Good_Vibe » Thu May 18, 2017 1:28 pm

Mark:

Five years ago when I setup FM, I (stupidly) named each .dat file and selected a separate disk directory (separated by account). Well, that has become burdensome, so I used the File ==> File Operations ==> Set Data Location to consolidate all .dat files into a single location. Afterward, I did a "Save All Investments" and a "Save Portfolio as". File explorer confirms creation off all the .dat files and the .mm4. After that, I deleted all the old directories where .dat and .mm4 files had been saved.

I changed the names of the portfolios (had two Monitor and Investments) and their directory location. I changed the .mm4 names in the save as operation. Now, when I open FM, I have four portfolios instead of just two. The newly renamed and relocated data is correct.

So my problem is that I haven't been able to figure out how to delete the old/deleted portfolio names under the FM File tab. Hope I haven't done anything too damaging.

Appreciate your help.
Thanks, Phil Stephenson
Good_Vibe

Postby Mark » Thu May 18, 2017 4:53 pm

Hi Phil,

The bottom of the File menu lists the most recently opened portfolio files. It doesn't actually check to see if they still exist though. So, you can safely just ignore the 2 older ones that no longer exist. Alternatively, you can use "Options / General Preferences... / Menus / Portfolios in File Menu" and lower the number to 2.

Another option is to remove them from the registry, so FM doesn't remember them. If you're comfortable editing the registry, go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Beiley Software\Fund Manager\CurrentVersion\Recent Portfolio List

and remove the older entries by just deleting them.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Good_Vibe » Fri May 19, 2017 2:51 pm

Excellent support. Over the years you have been simply outstanding in pointing exactly how to resolve challenges I've encountered. You clearly know FM inside and out. Thanks!
Good_Vibe

Return to General