Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Investment Performance Report

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby RalstonM » Thu May 11, 2017 11:14 am

I have run this report for my portfolio which has over 20 investments and it indicates the time weighted returns for each investment. However the values do not make sense to me because the starting date of the report does not apply to all of my investments. For instance my oldest investment was acquired in June 2011 and others have been acquired in 2014, 15 and 16. Yet all of the return figures shown are based on the earliest acquisition/starting date. Using muliple start dates on the report format produces an unwieldy report with lots of columns so this is not practical. How do I produce a report which takes in to account acquisition dates of individual investments and correspondingly more accurate more accurate TWR figures? Am I doing something wrong ? Thanks.
RalstonM

Postby Mark » Thu May 11, 2017 11:22 am

Hi RalstonM,

The "Investment Performance" report is looking at the intrinsic investments, like their share price and distributions/share. It is ignoring when/how you personally invested in those investments. The TWR is time weighted only, not value weighted. The "Return" column in this report is the TWR for each line item for the time period of the report, not necessarily when you acquired them. All return figures are for the same date range.

To find out the performance of your invested dollars, you may prefer to use the "Portfolio Performance" report, which displays the ROI, which is both time and money weighted. To read more about TWR and ROI yields, see the documentation here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/help/yields.html
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby RalstonM » Thu May 11, 2017 11:43 am

Thank you Mark for your fast response. I didnt use the Portfolio Performance report because most of my investments were transferred in to my new account created about a month ago. The transaction history which dates back to 2011 however was not transferred and therefore the yield values show N.A. I have tried to manually modify the data register for individual investments (as far back as 5 yrs but when I perform buy or sell transactions the cash account changes and I would like it to remain constant for such transactions done outside of my new account. Thus I have abandoned this procedure. Is there a work around for this ?
RalstonM

Postby Mark » Thu May 11, 2017 12:11 pm

Hi RalstonM,

If you want to record transaction history without making modifications to cash, you can set the default cash account to "<none>" in the properties of your sub-portfolio. The other option is to let it record the cash transactions (since that is probably what really happened), and record an adjustment entry when you're done. You probably have an adjustment entry now for when the account transferred over. You could delete that one, record all your historical transactions, and when done, record one adjustment for cash for the earliest date.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby RalstonM » Thu May 11, 2017 12:16 pm

Both of your solutions are elegant...I will try adjusting cashbalances at the end after I modify transactions. Thank you very much.

RalstonM
RalstonM

Return to General