Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Default cash account after creating new investment

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby markrtuttle » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:17 am

I successfully imported transactions from one investment at Vanguard into the demo version of Fund Manager. In the master portfolio, it created an entry for the Vanguard investment valued at $100, but it also created a default cash account valued at $100, and reports on my holdings now say they are valued at $200 instead of $100. I tried to use the option "none" for default cash account when importing the transactions, but I may have made a mistake.

What is the purpose of a cash account in the Fund Manager tool? Why is a natural default behavior for Fund Manager to use a cash account to double the value of my holdings? My contributions to Vanguard are done electronically from my bank account. As far as I know, there is no cash account at Vanguard with my name on it.

Thanks,
Mark

I tried searching these forums for "cash account" and "default cash account" but these searches turn up no results because the three words "default cash account" are too common to use in a search. I tried searching the on-line help, but found only one page describing how to set up a default cash account --- https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/hel ... _cash.html --- but nothing explaining why I would want one.
markrtuttle

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:23 am

Hi Mark,

When you set up a new account, you are given the option on whether or not to use a default cash account. If your account doesn't have one, then you can choose that option. If you need to remove a default cash account, you can just right mouse click on it in the Portfolio Editor window, and choose "Close". That will remove it from the account, and un-assign it as the default cash account. You might like to watch this tutorial on tracking cash in Fund Manager.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General