Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Track Investment Club

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby sbfree » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:16 am

Hi:
I own an interest in an investment club whose portfolio is about 15 common stocks. I can make an account for my interest in the club that updates the equity prices but my interest in the club changes each month. Each quarter I have been updating my proportional share interest in FM by various methods. I think that I used Transfer In/Transfer Out to adjust my number of shares of each equity but this quarter it seemed easier to delete (close) the investments and add them back in as new investments. Most of the investments already had data files like CTSH.dat but this created new ones like CTSH_1.dat.

Can you suggest a best way to track this investment? I am more interested in getting an accurate value, and being able to update the value with other investments, rather than following the cost basis of my interest in the partnership.

Thanks,
Scott
sbfree

Postby Mark » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:12 am

Hi Scott,

Fund Manager is not designed for tracking a situation where you have a varying ownership percentage of a portfolio. I don't really have a better suggestion than to adjust how much you own periodically. You can do this by transferring in/out shares as you were doing.

Another idea is to use categories. You could assign your percentage as one of the categories, and the rest of the members percentage lumped into another category. For example, say you used "Investment Goal". You could define one goal called "My Ownership" and another called "Everyone Else". For each investment, you could assign how much you own. When you report, you can filter by category, or sub-total by category. This really only works if you aren't trying to combine it with other portfolios you own. Also, you can only use whole numbers in categories, so it may not have enough resolution for you. For example, you can say you own 5%, but you can't say 5.4%.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sbfree » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:51 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. Other than disk space used is there any harm in having two data files like IBM.dat & IBM_1.dat? When is it safe to delete the first file?
scott
sbfree

Postby Mark » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi Scott,

There is no harm in having extra investment files. If you have closed that investment in Fund Manager, you can then safely delete the investment file if you don't think you'll ever want to open it again.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General