Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Permanently delete sub-portfolio / investments

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby nebfinfm » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:32 am

Hi Mark
How do you permanently delete/erase from the FM and the hard drive:

- entire sub-portfolio? (I don't know how to locate sub-portfolio filenames on the hard drive. I can see only one main *.mm4 portfolio file. All other files are *.dat files.)

- individual investments within the sub-portfolio ? (I dont know how to find filenames of investment *.dat files I want to erase).

- Will deleting sub-portfolios and/or investments cause any problems?

Thanks nebfinfm
nebfinfm

Postby Mark » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:52 am

Hi nebfinfm,

You can only "close" sub-portfolios and investments from within Fund Manager. Closing them completely removes them from Fund Manager, but does not delete any data files. If you want to also remove them from your hard drive, you would need to go in and delete the relevant files yourself.

Sub-portfolios are stored as part of your *.mm4 file, so if you close a sub-portfolio, there is no file necessary to delete off your hard drive. Saving your portfolio file updates that file, such that it no longer includes that closed sub-portfolio.

Investment files are saved as *.dat files. Each investment is saved to a separate *.dat file. There are many ways you can find the filename of an investment.

1) Use the Portfolio Editor, and add the "Location" and "Filename" columns to the list view

2) Right mouse click on an investment, and go to "Properties... / Statistics"

3) Create a Custom report with the "Path and filename" field

It is best to close from Fund Manager before deleting the files from your hard drive.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby nebfinfm » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:11 am

Many thanks for quick answer. nebfinfm
nebfinfm

Postby nebfinfm » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:13 am

Hi Mark,
as per your instructions I closed investments firstly from FM, then I deleted *.dat files from the hard drive. I noticed that there was in each case three files with similar filename. Seems like they are related.
For example:
- GOTO1.dat modified 02/10/2014
- GOTO1_1.dat modified 18/8/2014
- GOTO1_1_1.dat modified 25/3/2017

Since I erased only only the last file (in above example the GOTO1_1_1.dat. I'm afraid that data I wanted to erase remain on the hard drive. Can I erase all three related files?

Thanks nebfinfm
nebfinfm

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:14 am

Hi nebfinfm,

If they aren't open in any sub-portfolio then you can delete them. You could create a Custom report with "path and filename". Create it at your top level, don't sub-total, and list by investment. You can then sort by this field to get an alphabetical listing of all your open investment files. You can verify this way if these investments are open anywhere at all. If not, then you can delete them from your HD.

Another approach is possible too. You could just exit FM, move those files to a different folder, start up Fund Manager, and if you don't get any warnings about missing investment files, then they weren't open, and you can safely delete them.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:02 am

Hi,

I've also many old investment files to delete in my hard drive (closed and not used anymore, from many tests).

Perhaps this can work too to clean the place?
1) Backup the portfolio (File > Backup)
2) Delete the folder containing the investment files
3) Restore the portfolio

In step 1), only the investments opened in the portfolio are backed up, right?
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:33 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Yes, that would work. Only investments currently open are included in the backup.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General