Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Retrieving transactions from Wells Fargo

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby larryw » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:23 pm

I'm trying to set up retrieving transactions from Wells Fargo on an investment account. It seems to connect ok but I get an error message that unable to login because of username or password.

I can log into the web site without a problem. I called Wells Fargo but they couldn't help me.

Is there a trick to be able to log in? Anyone have any ideas?

I'm using Wells Fargo Advisor in FM and have verified the username, password, and account number are all correct.
larryw

Postby Mark » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:35 pm

Hi larryw,

I'm not sure of the specifics for this broker, but here are some general tips. The login error means that either the username/password are not as expected. The account number doesn't matter yet. The login may or may not be the same as the web server login, that is up to each broker. I would suggest calling Wells Fargo again, and asking them for your login instructions for Quicken. Quicken uses the same OFX interface that Fund Manager is using, and they should be able to provide you those login details. You may need to have your account enabled for this feature, or they may have a different username/password for you to use from their web server.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby larryw » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:34 pm

After talking to a couple client service reps at Wells Fargo I was told that their direct connect has been temporarily disabled due to security concerns. He couldn't give me any idea when it would be enabled.

The only alternative now is to continue with qfx downloads and then import.
larryw

Postby rossowm » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:44 pm

For the last three days, when I attempt to retrieve transactions from my Wells Fargo Brokerage account, I get the message:

Fund Manager - Transaction Retrieve

General Error

We are unable to process your request at this time. Please try again later or
contact us at 1-800-956-4442

********** End of message *************
Calling the number gives me Wells Fargo and eventually I got to a Wells Fargo Client Services rep. She told me Wells Fargo only supports downloads for Quicken or Quickbooks and that I should contact Fund Manager.

Any suggestions? (I have downloaded transactions from Wells Fargo to Fund Manager for years without a problem until now)
rossowm

Postby Mark » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:54 pm

Hi rossowm,

Fund Manager uses the same interface (Open Financial Exchange) as Quicken. You might call back and ask them if there are any issues with the Quicken interface. Whatever they tell you about the interface for Quicken would apply to Fund Manager as well. Based on the error, it sounds like it may be down temporarily for maintenance or something. You might give it a day, and see if it resolves itself. Nothing has changed from Fund Manager's end.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby larryw » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:44 pm

Wells Fargo told me they no longer allow transaction updates via direct connection to their server and in order to update activity I had to download the qfx file for the appropriate investment. They said it was a recent change and would initially only affect new customers who tried to use FM transaction retrieval (or any software for that matter, including Quicken).

I talked to several people on the Brokerage side and they ultimately told me the same thing although a couple didn't know about the policy change until I brought it to their attention.

Importing the qfx is relatively painless although not as convenient as importing from my Fidelity account.
larryw

Postby rossowm » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:00 pm

I have retrieved transactions from my Wells Fargo account for several years. Then in July, 2017, I could no longer retrieve the transactions.

Now, when I try to retrieve transactions from Wells Fargo Advisors, FM displays this message:
Fund Manager - Transaction Retrieve
General Error
Please login to https://www.wellsfargo.com/fmssetup to start FMS setup process

When I login through the link given above, I get this message
You've successfully completed the steps to confirm your identity.
After you select OK, you'll have 10 minutes to sign on to Quicken/QuickBooks and complete the setup process to allow access to your Wells Fargo account.

I do not know what the “setup process” is. (FM already has my Wells Fargo account name and password.)

This problem with Wells Fargo has been discussed before. I thought that the link to fmssetup might fix things, but it doesn’t. Do I now have to download qfx files manually?
rossowm

Postby Mark » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:36 am

Hi rossowm,

It sounds like the setup process they're referring to is in Fund Manager. Maybe after you login to that fmssetup link and complete that, you have a login that is valid for 10 minutes. Go enter those login details in your Fund Manager sub-portfolio properties under "Transaction Retrieve Settings..." and then do a transaction retrieve. Complete that part, within the 10 minute window. That is my guess, but if it doesn't work, you can call Wells Fargo and ask them for instructions on retrieving transactions with Quicken, and then use the same set of instructions for Fund Manager. They both use their OFX server interface.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby larryw » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:46 am

I finally gave up trying to retrieve transactions at Wells Fargo after they told me they no longer support direct retrieval of transactions. All they support is downloading the qfx and then import into Fund Manger. I talked to their brokerage support a couple times as well as my adviser at Wells Fargo. While at first I got conflicting information, after awhile and with a little pressure they finally all agreed that it was no longer supported as of mid last year. No promise that it would be enabled in the future so I don't know about today. I only have a couple accounts with them so downloading/importing isn't a big deal.

It'll be interesting if they tell you the same thing.

I do know, if you don't already, don't tell them it's for Fund Manager. They'll tell you they only know about Quicken and that's all they talk about.
larryw

Postby rossowm » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:03 pm

Mark wrote:Hi rossowm,

It sounds like the setup process they're referring to is in Fund Manager. Maybe after you login to that fmssetup link and complete that, you have a login that is valid for 10 minutes. Go enter those login details in your Fund Manager sub-portfolio properties under "Transaction Retrieve Settings..." and then do a transaction retrieve. Complete that part, within the 10 minute window.

Mark's suggestion worked (Thank you, Mark). The process was in fact slightly simpler than Mark described. I didn't have to enter any new "login details" in my Fund Manager sub-portfolio properties. I just relied on the settings information that I have always used until last July, when Wells Fargo apparently made some changes that screwed things up.

I was able to retrieve transactions for my other Wells Fargo accounts as well, without having to go through the setup process for these accounts.
rossowm

Return to General