Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Editing Purchase/Transfer in question

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby larryw » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:57 am

I have a new portfolio that I retrieved transactions via the menu. All the investments were imported into FM Personal correctly and the only thing I had to do was update the tax cost basis. All of these investments show up as Transfer In and so only have an ending value and thus the Gain is the same and %Gain is shown as N.A.

I trust Transfer in is correct since I did not actually purchase and that is why they don't show up in Contributions column.

Today I retrieved transactions and a final cash account was added to my portfolio but in this case it's shown as Purchased. Showing up purchased now has distorted gains for the cash as well as the portfolio so I would like to change it to Transfer In but can't find how to do that. Is it possible to do it? Any reason I shouldn't?

Also, would it have been classified as Purchase since it's a cash account?
larryw

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:22 am

Hi larryw,

Did you use the New Portfolio Wizard and retrieve "Transactions and Positions"? Or, did you only retrieve transactions?

You want to record things as they actually happened. Did these shares transfer into your account, or did you purchase them?

If you edit a "Transfer In" transaction you can enter an "OOP cost value". This is your Out Of Pocket cost for those transferred in shares. The Gain and %Gain figures are based on your OOP Cost. It will have been set to 0 if it was retrieved, as this information wouldn't be available from your broker. You can edit it to be your cost for those transferred in shares.

If you add cash to an account you will get a purchase of cash. You might like to watch the Tracking Cash tutorial.

The bottom line is you want to record everything as it happened.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby larryw » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:00 am

Hi Mark,

I used the Portfolio Wizard to set up but don't remember whether it was Transactions and Positions or just retrieve transaction. I've since updated prices and that seems to be working fine and the portfolio value matches the holdings in the bank. I manually input the tax basis cost for each investment.

There was no real out of pocket cost as this was an inheritance and the the bank transferred the stocks, etc. as well as the cash to my new account from the old one.

Even though there's no actual OOP cost should I complete that field so the reports will accurately reflect gains? I assume I'd use the tax cost basis as the OOP.

The cash account shows a 1,000+% gain with and thus the portfolio is showing 69% gain. Obviously that's not correct and which is why I wanted to fix it or do something so the cash account wouldn't affect percentages. Or is that the correct thing to do?

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Edit. I may have answered my own question about OOP I've entered the tax basis cost into OOP for some investments and the report not looks more like what I would expect, including having a Contribution value for each.
larryw

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:15 am

Hi larryw,

You can set the OOP cost on those transfers to whatever you want as your OOP basis. You might use the market value at the time of transfer, or you could use the cost basis.

If your cash has some shares transferred in at a 0 cost you will get a really large OOP based gain/%gain. You can edit the OOP cost of those shares so the gain/%gain will be based off whatever you record for the OOP cost.

I just see you edited your post, so it sounds like you have figured out a solution.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General