Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Newbie has a few questions

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Econdoc » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:13 am

Fund Manager Report.pdf
(107.7 KiB) Downloaded 275 times
CG Report.pdf
(21.51 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
I am trying FM and would appreciate some direction.
1. I would like the Portfolio Value report to have the Symbol/Ticker in a separate column. I could not figure out how to do this.

2. I created a simple buy/sell example. Buy 100 shares at $10; sell it all a couple weeks later at $11/share. The capital gains report shows nothing but zeros. I have attached both items.

3. Is is possible to set up a bank account?
Econdoc

Postby Mark » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:02 am

Hello Econdoc,

1) You can't add/remove columns in the Portfolio Value report, but you can either create a Custom report, or change the way investments are listed. If you create a Custom report, just add all the same fields that are in the Portfolio Value report, plus the Symbol field. These would be:

Symbol
Percentage of portfolio (ending)
Share price (ending)
Shares (ending)
Value (ending)

You could also change the way investments are listed, so that in the first column of a Portfolio Value report, the symbol is included. See "Options / General Preferences... / Display / Investment Description".

2) By default the Capital Gains report won't show investments assigned to the "Cash" investment type, or investments marked as "tax-free". Look at the properties of your investment by right mouse clicking on it, and choosing "Properties...". You can also change this preference from within your Capital Gains report by choosing "Options / Report Preferences... / Capital Gains / Exclude Investments:".

3) Yes, you can track a bank account. We don't automatically retrieve data from a bank account, but you can track it just like a cash investment. See our Tracking Cash Tutorial.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Econdoc » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:01 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I am working in the custom report and that looks like it will work.

The issue with the capital gains is not so good. The asset in question was listed as a mutual fund, with Average Cost used for evaluating the sales. It is not in a tax-deferred account. Any other suggestions on why this does not work? There should be a short-term capital gain of $100. Can't get much simpler.

I am having another very disturbing issue. The program seems to have so many windows open that I run out of memory. (And I have 16GB of RAM!). I often cannot close the program and have to do a hard reset. How do I close all those extra windows? If I click on an open window, the whole program closes, not just that report window or graph window. When the program restarts, all the window are open and I get Insufficient Memory warnings. I am running this on a Win 10 64bit computer with 16GB of RAM. Is there a 64-bit version of this program?
Econdoc

Postby Mark » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:22 pm

Hi Econdoc,

Sorry, I just noticed your transactions are recorded as TxIn and TxOut. A Transfer Out does not generate a capital gains event. Instead, record it as a Sell transaction. A Buy transaction is also the more common way to add shares, unless it really was a transfer in.

You can close a window by clicking the X in the upper/right. Do not close the whole program, but just the child graph/report windows. There are the minimize, restore, close buttons for the whole program, and then beneath this another set for the child window. You can also use the "Window" top level menu and then choose to close all graphs/reports or the Portfolio Editor window. You might also like to read this:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq ... kering.php

One common issue new users run into is creating many new reports, leaving the existing one's open in the background. Each time you go to the top level "Reports" menu you are creating a new report window. Instead, use the "Window" menu, to switch over to your existing report window. If you want to change the report's settings use "Edit / Report Settings..." instead of creating a new report.

We only have a 32 bit version, which runs under both 32 and 64 bit versions of Windows.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Econdoc » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:41 am

Again, thanks for the help and direction.

Re the Cap Gains issue. I cannot find a way of changing the two transactions from Transfers to buy/sell. Not changeable?

I created a custom Portfolio Value report, gave it a unique name, but I cannot find it. Where should I look?

Lastly, I cannot seem to get rid of subtotals at the end of my report. Each sub-portfolio has a sub-total at the end of reporting its holdings. Then I get the sub-portfolios for all portfolios again at the end of the report. I tried to toggle that off, but it does not appear to work for me.
Econdoc

Postby Mark » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:14 am

Hi Econdoc,

You can't change a Transfer to a Buy/Sell. You'll have to delete the transfer and add a buy/sell.

If your report window is still open, it will be under the "Window" menu. If you memorized it, it will be under the top level "Reports" menu, at the bottom. If you closed it without memorizing it, you'll have to re-create it.

If you turn on sub-totals by sub-portfolio, sub-totals at every level of portfolio hierarchy will be shown. You can turn them off, but then no sub-totals will be shown, only totals. The bottom section is listing all the items directly in the top level sub-portfolio you've selected for your report.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Econdoc » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:49 am

Once again, thanks Mark, for the excellent responses. I am getting near the end of my vetting process.
I have successfully created a custom Profile View and memorized it. I need to be able to export this information so that I can import it into another program. I realized that I can Copy/Paste the data, but my preference would be to export it as a CSV or Tab Delimited text file which can easily be imported. Is there a way to accomplish that?

Thanks as always and have Happy New Year.
Econdoc

Postby Mark » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:17 am

Hi Econdoc,

If you're asking about exporting a report to a CSV file, yes, you can do that. From within the report window choose "File / Export to CSV...".

You can also export any pricing/transaction data to CSV (or other formats also). See the "File / Export" commands.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Econdoc » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:38 am

Hi Mark.
I think I have figured out most things and I very much like what I see. However…

I have experienced an alarming problem with FM!

• I have no idea what triggers it, but out of the blue I will get a green window that opens and says something like “Win + G for game card.”
• Once this appears my computer basically locks up.
• FM will not open any drop-down menus.
• Task Manager will not open.
• The taskbar hidden icons are greyed out.
• The Start button does not work on either right or left click.
• I have no recourse but to do a hard reset on my computer.

Is this spyware?
Why does FM crash my computer?
Please advise.
Econdoc

Postby Mark » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:19 am

Hi Econdoc,

I'm not sure what is causing that. Fund Manager contains no spyware, adware, malware, or anything malicious. This sounds related to the Windows 10 Game Bar. You might try disabling that feature, and see if this stops the problem. A quick Google search gives instructions on how to do this. For example:

http://www.howtogeek.com/273180/how-to- ... -game-bar/

If that doesn't help, you might try and notice what window is open at the time it happens, or if you are doing any certain operation. Does "Esc" work to get rid of the window?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Econdoc » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:06 am

Thanks for the info. The screen that pops up does indeed look exactly like the Xbox recorder.
I do not have an xbox, and I never use the Windows key, so I cannot figure out what triggers that to pop up!
I will make the observation that this screen pops up only when I have been using FM and no other time.

Anyway, I have disabled the Game Bar and hope to never see it again. :)

Thanks for all your help. I am going to purchase FM right now.
Econdoc

Return to General