Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Side effects of changing investment type labels ?

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Djobydjoba » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:19 am

Hi Mark,

Some investment types have an impact in several locations in Fund Manager. For example, cash type investments can be filtered in the graphs and reports, fields available in the Investment Properties window can differ depending of the investment type selected, exchange rate investment type has too a special effect I guess.

Before I customize the investment type labels, I wonder if it's a good idea to change some of these labels. Extreme example : if the "cash" label is changed to "stock" label, that could have negative effects I guess..

I would like to know up to what point it is OK to customize these labels.

Thanks.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:22 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Good question. We don't have this well documented, but to be safest, only change the one's called "User-defined n". Those won't have any special options. You can change any of them, but there are a few treated differently in some cases. For example, you can omit "Cash" type investments from graphs and certain reports. This is based on the original investment type named Cash, no matter how you change the label. The other one is Exchange Rate, which will not be exchanged when doing currency conversion (no matter the label). When new investments are created, they are based on the original names. For example, when you retrieve transactions and buy a new stock the investment will be created with the type that has the original name of stock.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Djobydjoba » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:45 am

Thanks, I so will stick with this rule :
but to be safest, only change the one's called "User-defined n"

Could be interesting to document the several effects of the investment types in the software (in graphs, reports, properties...).

Nothing to do with, perhaps a really minor discrepancy : Graphs menu > Pie Charts, the "Asset Allocation" entry. Usually in the software "Asset type" is used. And same for Stacked value graph type.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:03 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

Good points, thanks for the feedback.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General