Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Mobile access - Signon invalid error

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby pauyo » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:00 am

Hi,

I have been able to use mobile access using the Android app until a couple of days ago, when data upload stopped working. I am able to log in to the Web Portal, but when I try to upload using Options->Mobile/Web Access->Upload Data, I get an error message stating "Signon invalid error for account "...". Please check your username and password".

I have tested deleting the account and recreating with different user name and password, with the same result.

I am not sure what could be causing this as I do not recall doing any major modifications to the application since that date. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Regards,
Paul
pauyo

Postby Mark » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:49 am

Hi Paul,

It may be related to a recent server upgrade. The IP address changed, and for a period of time some requests may have gone to the old server, and some to the new, until the DNS updated for everyone. This change occurred on Monday of this week. Things should be settled out now. I just tested everything from here, including adding/deleting/changing an account, uploading data, access from the web portal and android app. Everything appears to be operating normally. Can you try again to update your password, and then upload your data again?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby pauyo » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:36 am

Hi Mark,

According to my android app, the last successful update was made on 19th of Sept, which is last Monday. I am not sure if that is a coincidence or not. I am sure however that I was able to upload the master portfolio before that date and I have now verified that I cannot do that anymore.

My master portfolio contains multiple portfolios (one per client) and each client portfolio in turn contains one or more sub-portfolios (accounts).

I have no idea what the exact reason is but I have done some testing and made these observations and I hope will give a clue about what could be causing this.

1- the master portfolio still cannot be uploaded if I delete the original account and create a new user name and new password
2- I am able to upload individual sub-portfolios in the hierarchi contained within the master portfolio
3- if all sub-portfolios within a portfolio can be uploaded indiviually, the containing portfolio will also be able to be uploaded. E g a portfolio representing a client contains multiple account sub-portfolios - if I verify that all individual accounts can be uploaded, I am also able to upload the containing client portfolio. If however, a single account sub-portfolio within the client portfolio fails to upload, the client portfolio will also fail to upload. This is maybe what prevents the master portfolio from being uploaded, as indiviual client sub-portfolios as failing to upload for some reason
4- It seems as the upload of a portfolio will fail for me the combination of a, b and c below is true:
a. it contians hidden investments, and
b. I have choosen to view hidden investments/portfolios (View->investments/portfolios), and
c. I have checked the option "Show hidden items" in the preferences for "Mobile/Web Access"
If "Show hidden items" in the preferences for "Mobile/Web Access" is NOT checked the portfolio will upload fine.
5- the error message is always the same as in my original post ""Signon invalid error for account 'account name'. Please check your username and password", which is not helpful"

I am not sure if the problem is on my end or in the server. Are you sure there was no update to the Mobile/Web Access logic/functionality?

Sorry for the very long post...

Regards,
Paul
pauyo

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:48 am

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the help/explanation. I'm still not able to reproduce the problem here though. I tried your a + b + c combination, and still couldn't reproduce it.

The server's DNS records/IP address changed on Monday. The new server has an updated version of the database software for this feature, that could also be a factor. Given the problem started on Monday, it seems likely somehow related to this change.

There should be no relationship between being able to upload a sub-portfolio and a higher level sub-portfolio. It sounds like you are uploading multiple accounts using the Advisor version? Can you try this:

Under "Options / Mobile/Web Access / Account Settings..." change the password to "helloworld". (You can leave it set to your top-most sub-portfolio.) This is the password for the "Global Account". When you press OK, it should update this account's information, and say your account was updated on the server. Then, it should ask if you want to upload your account data. Choose "Yes". If you have multiple accounts set to upload you'll be prompted for which account(s) to upload. Choose "Single Account", and select your "<Global Account>" and press OK. Does that work?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby kkn » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:47 pm

Hi, I also get a Signon ivalid error. I tried changing the password to "helloworld". That did not work. Mobile access worked last week, I think.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Knud

By the way: did you decide on adding the Nasdaq Nordic server? (has the historical quotes I need).
kkn

Postby pauyo » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:49 am

Hi Mark,

> I tried your a + b + c combination, and still couldn't reproduce it.
That is a shame - I was hoping that was the problem :(

> There should be no relationship between being able to upload a sub-portfolio and a higher level sub-portfolio.
I have verified the following case: A sub-portfolio (SP) P contains 4 SPs P1-P4. P1-P3 can be uploaded successfully when selected in the "Account Settings" one by one. P4 fails however to upload when selected in the "Account Settings" though, with the original error message.
Now, if I remove the un-uploadable P4 from the hierarchi, SP A that now only contains A1-A3 will upload successfully! This suggest that, at least on my end, there is some kind of relationship between SP on different level when it comes to uploading.
(I choose to upload specific SPs under "Options / Mobile/Web Access / Account Settings..." ).

> It sounds like you are uploading multiple accounts using the Advisor version?
I am using the PRO version. My portfolio consists of a master portfolio that in turn contains multiple SPs (one per "client"). These in turn contain one or more SPs (one per "client" account).

Your suggestion did not work. I also tried using the "helloworld" with a user name called "Global Account", without success. I was never prompted for "which account(s) to upload" - only got the same usual error message after pressing OK.

If helpful I could provide you with one SP that does NOT upload for me, so you can verify the behavior on your end.

Regards,
Paul
pauyo

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:45 am

Thanks. Let us take a closer look, and see if we can't figure out the problem. I'll post back when I know more.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:52 pm

Hi Paul,

I'd like to take you up on your offer to send me a sub-portfolio that can't upload. You can copy/paste it into a new empty portfolio file, and then save the portfolio file to a new name. Then use "File / Backup..." to create a *.FMB backup of this. After you move this sub-portfolio please do verify that the upload still fails with the signon invalid error. I'll send you an email, so you can reply to that with the file.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby pauyo » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:50 am

Hi Mark,

I think I have figured it out. The sub-portfolios that failed to upload had one thing in common - they had names or contained investments that had names, that had "none-american" characters. That seems to be the reason for my problem. I have identified the offending names and substitued the offending characters with A-Z characters, and now my master portfolio uploads successfully.

You can verify this by creating a SP containing the investment named "Kværner" and try to upload it.

I am pretty certain that my master portfolio uploaded successfully prior to 19/9 so a side effect of the updates to the db seems to be that unicode character set is not used anymore?

Regards,
Paul
pauyo

Postby Mark » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:15 pm

Hi Paul,

Excellent, you are right. It was a problem with the character set. This is fixed now, so you can use the original characters again.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General