Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Foreign vs. Domenstic

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby B2B_Investing » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:51 am

Hi Mark,

Is there anyway to assess what the current domestic vs. international holdings of the portfolio are? Ideally country allocation would be nice, but even domestic vs. foreign would be helpful for even rudimentary allocation and rebalancing efforts. If not native functionality is there a way to force it without manually allocating sectors - that is too manually intensive to be practical

Thanks,

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:06 am

Hi Jason,

This isn't a feature built into the program. You can use categories, but this would require manual assignment.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:48 am

Thanks Mark,

This would be a helpful addition to put on the list of future enhancement Mark. While I can get this information by using Morningstar's Portfolio x-ray or a similar assessment tool, it would be very helpful to have this as part of the software holding the investments to avoid manual data entry.

Thanks!

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:54 am

Hi Jason,

Okay, thanks for the feedback.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:01 am

Hi Mark,

After thinking about this, it would be powerful to add "Geography" as an additional data element on the same hierarchy as Asset Type, Sector, etc. I am not sure how you are managing the tables on the back-end or from where you could source the data, but it would be a powerful addition to the program.

(As would the new type of alert I requested a while back. Just thought I would plug that again)

Thanks,

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby DukeWeston » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:27 am

I also need to monitor (and sub-total) my foreign versus domestic balance. Indeed, along with the stocks vs bonds balance it is the most important attribute of my portfolio balancing.

At first I added a custom field for this, but discovered that reports cannot sub-total on custom fields. My solution was to subvert the "Investment Goal" field for this purpose - as it has sub-totaling on reports. I still have to set the value manually when an investment is created but I can live with that.
DukeWeston

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:27 am

Okay, thanks for the feedback. Using one of the categories (like Investment Goal) is a good solution for now.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:41 am

I fully agree with DukeWeston. That action is one of my important tasks in managing my assets and is an important means of mitigating risk.

Jason
B2B_Investing

Return to General