Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Asset Allocation Not Updating All Identical Investments

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby B2B_Investing » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:47 am

Hi Mark,

I have a mutual fund that is held in three different accounts (two taxable, one Roth IRA). The Sector allocation will update across all three however the asset allocation will only update the two in taxable accounts. The third stubbornly remains at 100% <uncategorized>. While all three have the same ticker the one that is not updating the asset allocation has a slightly different name. Thoughts?

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:04 am

Hi Jason,

Check both the Symbol and Investment Type. Both are factors in getting the Asset Type updated. I'm guessing the one investment has a different investment type than the other two.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:46 am

Hi Mark,

I confirmed the symbol and investment type are the same for all three.

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:54 am

Hi Jason,

The other possibility is that the 3rd investment is marked as hidden or set to not retrieve prices, and you have the option checked to skip such investments on the retrieve dialog?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:11 am

Hi Mark,

I verified that the investment is not hidden and is set to retrieve prices. The head scratcher is the sector updates on all three but the asset type only updates on two of them. The asset type is not updating on the one which has a different investment goal. The one with the new goal was added recently.

I ran update assets in each sub portfolio and found that the sector information can be retrieved from morningstar for the fund; however the asset type errors out. It must be a very recent change because I did not notice the error before. How can this be troubleshot further?

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:24 am

Hi Jason,

Do you get some error, or does it just say that symbol failed to update? Can you give me the ticker symbol in question? I can test it from here.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:05 am

Hi Mark,

There is not an error; the update results in a failure for that security. I emailed you the ticker symbol.

Thanks,

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:28 pm

Hi Jason,

Thanks. I see the same problem with the ticker you emailed to me. We'll have to investigate further, and I'll get back you to by posting here.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:41 pm

Hi Jason,

The reason this symbol is not updating is because Morningstar is not reporting anything for the fixed income portion of the fund. If you look up this symbol on www.morningstar.com and click on the "More..." link in the "Style Map" section on the right you can see the details. Under "Style Details" there is an "Equity Style" and "Bond Style". The equity holdings style is reported fine, but if you look at the "Bond Style" tab, you can see the "Fixed-Income Style" box is not filled in with a black box in any of the 9 squares. Fund Manager doesn't know which of the FI asset types to assign for this fund.

This fund is a combination of equity and fixed income, and the fixed income portion isn't being reported, thus the update fails. For more on how Fund Manager handles updating asset types for the fixed income case, see the morningstar.com documentation here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/hel ... asset.html
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:12 am

Thank you Mark.

Previously FM had downloaded the following for two of the asset classes.

Large Value 13%
Large Core/Blend 13%
Large Growth 14%
Mid Value 2%
Mid Core/Blend 2%
Mid Growth 1%
FI:Medium Extended 55%

I have the retrieve settings to "leave allocation unchanged" if the retrieve fails so I guess Morningstar is no longer providing the full information for that security. When the retrieve fails for all three, it has the historic information for two of them. I didn't realize this until I had a large "uncategorized" section on a report. Thank you for looking into this and the insight on how to troubleshoot an error like this in the future. Much appreciation for an excellent product.

Jason
B2B_Investing

Return to General