Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Transfering investments between portfolios

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby faezandyc » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:37 pm

I have several investments (stocks) in my Ameritrade portfolio. When I sell an investment, reducing my shares to zero, I like to transfer it to a portfolio I call "Old Ameritrade" so I have all the info for taxes, etc.

So all the investments in "Old Ameritrade" have buy and sell information but zero shares.

And all the investments in Ameritrade are current and have some value.

Is there some simple way to transfer an investment from one portfolio to another? Like a drag and drop? Or do I just have to open it in the new portfolio and delete it from the old?

Just wondering.

Andy
faezandyc

Postby Mark » Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:06 am

Hi Andy,

Yes, you can use drag/drop from within the Portfolio Editor window. Just select the investment on the right, and drag it over onto the sub-portfolio you want to move it into on the left. If you hold down the Ctrl key while doing this, you'll see a plus sign added to your cursor, which means you'll be making a copy of it, instead of moving it. It sounds like you don't want this, you'd just want to move it.

Another thought for you, you might want to consider... Instead of using 2 sub-portfolios, you can just "hide" your sold investments, and leave everything in 1 sub-portfolio. You can always use "View / Hidden Investments" to see everything when you want.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby L Larson » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:26 pm

reply holds for FM 7.0?
TIA

L.
L Larson

Postby Mark » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Hi L Larson,

Yes, my previous reply would be appropriate for both the 7.x and 8.x versions.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General