Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Settings disappeared

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby thrombus » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:56 am

Hi, I went to generate a rebalance report and suddenly my previously entered allocation targets have disappeared. Also for individual stocks, the asset types have been reset to uncategorized and my custom asset types are gone. I'm not sure when this happened, but was probably fairly recent. Is there a way to restore this data without disturbing my downloaded transactions and price history? Thanks.
thrombus

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:35 am

Hi thrombus,

These preferences are stored in the registry for your current Windows user (unless you are using portable/cloud mode). If you changed from portable/cloud mode, or switched Windows users, got a new computer, or somehow your registry got erased, like maybe uninstalling Fund Manager, these could all cause a loss of your preferences.

Yes, you can restore only the preferences. Restore from a *.FMB backup, and choose to only restore the global registry preferences, and none of your data files. FM makes automatic backups for you, so you can restore from one of these, or any you've made yourself. See "Options / General Preferences... / Data" for the location of your automatic backups. Use "File / Restore..." to pick one to restore from. You might pick one based on date.

When you restore, pick the "Global Registry Preferences" in the list, and choose the option to "Only Restore Selected Items".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby thrombus » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:15 am

That makes sense - I had changed the setting to portable mode recently.

Thanks for the information. Will work on restoring the preferences.
thrombus

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:34 am

Hi thrombus,

If you changed to portable/cloud mode, make sure the shortcut you're using to start FM is pointing to the copy of FM.exe in the same folder where your fmprefs.txt file is located. This is the directory where FM.exe was running when you turned on portable/cloud mode. This should be a directory where you have write permission, and not in the C:\Program Files (x86) folder, as FM won't have write permission there. You can read more about how to set up FM in portable mode here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/help/portable.html
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby thrombus » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:44 am

ok will check. Thanks for your help!
thrombus

Return to General