Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Question regarding distribution type

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby Djobydjoba » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:29 am

Hi,

I have a CFD account for which I don't record all the transactions (it's trading so there are numerous, and FM doesn't handle margin transactions), but instead I record a distribution at the end of each week to maintain a correct view of my balance account.

In FM my CFD account is a mere investment, cash type, share price always equal to 1.

For example, my CFD account was 1000€ at the beginning of the week, 970€ at the end of the week, so I record on Friday a reinvested distribution of -30€ (of course, I record buy and sell transactions for contributions and withdrawals).

Which is the best distribution type to choose for this purpose ? I've chosen the type "Return of Capital", but perhaps an other one is more appropriate ? Accretion ? In fact, is this choice make any difference at all in Fund Manager ?

Thanks.
Djobydjoba

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:28 am

Hi Djobydjoba,

I would use any one except "Account Fee" or "Return of Capital". These 2 are special. They affect your tax cost basis. Besides this they are all equivalent. They all affect performance in exactly the same way. (Well, actually you can tell FM to ignore "Account Fee" type distributions in calculating returns, but by default they are included.) You might want to rename the distribution labels. There are some "user-defined" ones you could use. See "Options / Distribution Labels...".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General