Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Using FM from two different windows accounts

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby pauyo » Fri May 20, 2016 11:49 am

Hi,

I have FM installed on my windows 10 machine, in the default admin account that was there from OS installation. At the time of FM installation that was the only account on the machine. Now I would like to be able to work with that same FM installation (data and settings) from another account on the machine as well (not simultaenously).

I have created a new user account and the program (icon) is there and I can start it, but it looks as a new installation. The license is not there and neither are my portfolios (the master portfolio is opened automatically in the original installation) or settings.

Have I done something wrong or should it not work this way?

Regard,
Paul
pauyo

Postby Mark » Fri May 20, 2016 4:38 pm

Hi Paul,

All your settings are saved in the per-user area of the registry. You can follow these instructions:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/newcomputer.html

to backup everything from one user, and restore it under the other user's account.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby pauyo » Sat May 21, 2016 8:10 am

Hi Mark,

Just to make sure, will I be accessing the the same instances of investments and portfolio files from both windows accounts? I will mainly be using the 2nd account price retrieval tasks and want to make sure the same data files are updated and not copies of those regardless from which account I am starting the application.

Thanks,
Paul
pauyo

Postby Mark » Sat May 21, 2016 9:29 am

Hi Paul,

In this case, make sure you are storing/opening your data files from a location that both users have access to. The default location is "My Documents\Fund Manager", but this is a user-specific folder. You might want to create another folder off your C: drive, that holds your data common to all users. Something like:

C:\Data\Fund Manager

The preferences are stored in the registry by default, and those would still be separate for each user. If you want to make the preferences common, then you can enable "Portable Mode". For instructions on setting this up, see:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/help/portable.html
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General