Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Export Rebalance Trades -- select asset type?

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby mecrews » Thu May 12, 2016 11:50 am

Hello,

Question on exporting rebalance trades (use Scottrade.)

All ETFs are being coded as MF. Equities are fine with EQ as well as CEFs with EQ. How do I fix that? I would prefer not to do it manually.

Second -- I'm guessing that there is no way to check if the trades generated will actually clear -- for instance a portfolio trade file generated more $ in buys and $ received in sales. That's a challenge -- currently solve by doing everything manually :) But I've got enough individual accounts that I really need to streamline things.

Thanks,

MC
mecrews

Postby Mark » Thu May 12, 2016 2:16 pm

Hi MC,

According to our documentation from Scottrade the only choices are EQ or MF for the Scottrade formatted trade file. Are you expecting to see a different value in the "Asset Type" column for ETFs? I've contacted Scottrade to see if there is any newer documentation or to ask on how to code ETFs.

No, sorry that isn't a feature to check buy total versus sell total. How exactly would you like to see this work? What would you do if the sell total is less than the buy total?
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby mecrews » Fri May 13, 2016 7:38 am

Mark,

Yes -- ETFs need to be coded as EQ so that when it loads on Scottrade's platform -- it is on the Stock trading screen. When it's an MF -- it's on the Mutual Fund trading screen. You can't switch between the 2 w/out losing information.

As for check's -- I'm not sure there's a way to solve that programmatically and I hesitate bringing it up except that for me at least it seems to be a limiter on the functionality of the trade generation function.

Uploading test files yesterday resulted in many, many errors stating I would have a debit in an account if the trades were executed as uploaded. My current thought is that I have to manually review the trade file somehow and do the preflight check in the csv file versus once it's loaded.

One idea -- do trade file per client portfolio then combine the trade files together. Reviewing each client's proposed trades is the easiest way to do the pre-flight check -- that I currently know of.

Thanks!

MC
mecrews

Postby Mark » Fri May 13, 2016 7:45 am

Hi MC,

Okay, thanks for the information. We can change it so that ETFs get coded as EQ in the trading file. Looking at the Scottrade security file I don't expect incoming ETF transactions will get mapped to an ETF investment type however. If you look at your ETFs in Fund Manager that were created by importing from a Scottrade file, what do they have for an "Investment Type"? See "Investment Properties...".

We can give the trading file check some thought...
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General