Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Transfer between.

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby JohnG139 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:09 pm

Hi,
I had bought ProShares Ultra short Midcap 400 ETF in my margin account (CAD $) then later opened a US$ account.
I then transferred those shares to the US$ account.
In Fund Manager, I try to 'Transfer Between' but the first time it transferred into the Proshares US smallcap invesrment. So, I realized I need to open a new investment for Midcap, in the US$ account. When I try this, it says "MZZ already exists, do I wish to replace it?" No, I don't since I need to maintain records in my CAD$ account. So I try and open MZZ in the US$ account and try the transfer again. Now it tells me to select a different investment in the destination account.
Also, when I open MZZ in the USD account it already has my CAD purchase registered.
Why can't I have MZZ investments in both accounts and simply transfer shares from one to the other in a tax free manner?
Thanks,
John
JohnG139

Postby Mark » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:23 pm

Hi John,

If you want to have the same security with different transactions in 2 different sub-portfolios, you want to create a new investment for each. When assigning a filename, choose a different filename, instead of the same filename as your already existing investment. For example: MZZ_acct1.dat and MZZ_acct2.dat. For help, see this:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq ... tments.php

In the "Transfer Between" wizard you choose the source and destination investments. Make sure you pick the correct/desired destination, and that it is not the same investment as the source.

Is this ETF in each account in the same currency? You can't use the Transfer Between wizard if the source/destination investments are in different currencies.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General