Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Potential Bug?

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby sponge » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:00 pm

Hi
Have been using FM for several years. My default currency is CAD but I have a USD investment account which is reflected in FM sub-portfolio.
Usually i don't pay attention to small cash dependency between FM and my actual statements but in this particular case the gap was significant (> $4k) so i noticed. It took me a while to figure out what may be the root cause....
I noticed that for all bought share transactions over the years, the share / total in the investment would match the redemption transaction in the default cash account. However, to my surprise, for 2 out of 14 bought share transactions, they didn't match!! and the diff was non trivial!!
I tried to correct it by playing with (editing) the bought shares transaction -- but it doesn't seem to update the cash transaction.

Any ideas?
sponge

Postby Mark » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:06 pm

Hi sponge,

So, your cash is in CAD, but this redemption is in a USD investment? If you edit the redemption in the USD investment, and change the date, does the CAD cash buy also change date? Is the value still different than you would expect? Are you using a transaction specific exchange rate? What is your global exchange rate on that date? If you're not using a transaction specific exchange rate, then your global exchange rate will be used to determine how much CAD cash to deposit for this USD redemption. You can find your global exchange rate by looking in the Data Register at the investment you have assigned to by your USD -> CAD exchange rate. Look under the data type of "Prices", and look for the price on the date of the redemption. If this doesn't help you find the problem, please try to answer the above questions, and maybe provide a specific example with numbers.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sponge » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:12 pm

No - much simpler. USD investment account. All investments are in USD and default CASH account is USD
sponge

Postby Mark » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:13 pm

Can you check they are the same "USD"? Maybe you have multiple USD currencies defined under "Options / Currency Settings..."?

Also, if you edit that redemption, and change the date, what happens to the cash side of the transaction?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby sponge » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:52 pm

Nope only one USD currency setting.
When i changed shares transaction date from 1/31/14 to 2/3/14, a correct corresponding transaction got recorded on cash side (redemption). However, the original incorrect valued cash redemption on 1/31/14 remains.
sponge

Postby Mark » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:43 pm

Hi sponge,

Do you know how that incorrect cash transaction got there? Is this a problem you can reproduce somehow?

To fix things, you can delete the incorrect cash transaction, and edit your redemption back to the correct date. That should move the corresponding cash transaction as well.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General