Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Process for donating appreciated securities

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby hipped1 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:53 am

I have a security that appreciated in value that I donated to a charity. Can someone suggest a process to use in fund manager in order to donate appreciated securities without affecting tax gain or performance reporting?

I believe I can record the donated security as a sale, but since its in my taxable account the gain on the position will appear in the capital gains and losses report even though I don't have tax liability for the transaction.

If I record the donated security as a transfer out, the security doesn't appear on the capital gains report. I put in the calculated value of the donated security in the transfer out transaction amount. When I do this, it appears to alter the actual portfolio performance report. For the security in question, the performance report for this quarter shows a withdrawal of the stock basis (not the appreciated value) which then causes the gain calculation to be off the difference between the cost basis of the security and the transfer out amount.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
hipped1

Postby Mark » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:05 pm

Hi Mark,

The Portfolio Performance report is showing your OOP (Out Of Pocket) gains. For a transfer out transaction, you can set this to either use the original OOP amount, or the market value amount when calculating how much was transferred out. In your case, it sounds like you're using the "Original OOP", as it is withdrawing that much. You can change this to "Market Value" at "Options / General Preferences... / Other / Transfer Transactions OOP Calculations Use:".
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby hipped1 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:30 am

Perfect, thanks Mark.
hipped1

Return to General