Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Importing client information

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby dowdjim » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:41 pm

I have been evaluating the Advisor Edition and have a question about client information. I found the post that refers to the location and file name of the client database, but I could not find a way or reference to import client information from a CSV or other file. This would be a useful feature since most advisors keep detailed client information in some sort of CRM or other contact database. Any thoughts?

Overall, I am very impressed with the flexibility and feature-richness of this product (and almost sold).

One other question /observation: open access is the #1 most important feature for me... I will never again buy a product that does not allow easy open access to my data. It would be great if there were a "complete database export" feature, in case advisors wanted to utilize an external report writer to batch process reports (Excel / Word), create self-populating forms (Adobe), and/or make data web-accessible through another application. I have not experimented with the QIF format so maybe this is a possible solution.

Many thanks,
Jim
dowdjim

Postby Mark » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:36 pm

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately, we don't have importing capability of the client information. That would be a good thing to add.

Fund Manager has several exporting choices. You'll see these under the "File / Export" menu. The QIF format is a standard text file that would contain the account, transaction, security, and pricing information. In addition to the QIF format you can also transfer any report data to Excel. For instructions on this, see:

http://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq_export_excel.php

If you have any other export formats in mind that would be helpful to have, please let us know.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby dowdjim » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:56 pm

As I said I am not that familiar with QIF format so will have to play with it. My goal on the data export is to have a systematic, easy way to pull data out of the program and into an open database (Excel, mySQL, Access) so that I can add additional modules to do things that FM does not. Maybe I can design a custom report that will allow me to accomplish this through Excel without too much hacking.

Thanks for your prompt feedback.
dowdjim

Return to General