Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

FM on a network

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby paulk » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:43 am

Hi Mark

So, I've been happily using FM Advisor for about 5 years and I am getting to the point where I cannot manage all the work myself (a good problem I know). i would like my office manager and or partner to have access to my client records without having to be on my pc to do so. Can I run FM off of a peer to peer network?

Thanks
paulk

Postby Mark » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:37 am

Hi paulk,

You can do this, but you can't both be making changes at the same time. FM is not truly "networkable". We have instructions/options for this described here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq_multiuser.php
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby paulk » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:06 am

Just as a follow up then - if I want to keep FM data on my local pc but I want my partner and/or office manager to be able to access the program i would just have to share the drive, enable cloud mode, enable data protection and install the program on each of their pc machines. Once I point them to the shared drive they should be able to access the information correct?
paulk

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:51 am

Hi paulk,

Yes, you can do it that way. As long as they have network access to your drive, and can access the data files. You would only need to enable/use portable mode if you want all your preferences to also be available, or you want to use the data protection feature, so only 1 person can be accessing the files at a time.

Another method would be to just set your automatic backup directory to a shared drive somewhere. They can then run Fund Manager locally on their own PC, and restore from one of your latest backups. Restoring is very quick, and contains all the data/preferences. This way they are not accessing/modifying your original files, so there is no concern about who is changing the data. Of course if you want them to change the data, then this doesn't work...
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General