Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Bond purchases and sweep account (upgrade-related)

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby quercus » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:09 am

Hi Mark,

Back in Oct 2015 I upgraded from FM 14 to FM 2016.

Now I'm noticing a problem with my sweep accounts when I purchase a bond. It seems like FM is handling the import differently, and perhaps incorrectly.

Symptoms:
Vanguard says my sweep account balance is 0.
FM shows a positive balance for the sweep account.
The discrepancy seems to be equal to 2 * the value of the "distributed interest income" (aka accrued interest) that shows up when you purchase a bond.

Example:
Money market sweep account in FM shows a balance of 6.54.
Vanguard website shows 0.
FM transaction register shows:
Date:1/8/16 Shares: 1005.27 Total: 1005.27 Type:Purchase Memo:Sweep from Money Market Fund
Date:1/5/16 Shares: 3.27 Total: 3.27 Type:Purchase Memo:(Imported) Distributed Interest Income from XYZ
Date:1/5/16 Shares:-1002.00 Total:-1002.00 Type:Redemption Memo:(Imported) Bought 10.000 XYZ

I looked back at earlier bond purchases whose transactions were imported using FM v12. Whenever there was "distributed interest income" related to an initial purchase, the register showed Type:Redemption, and the Shares and Total were both negative.

Following that methodology, line 2 above would (should?) look like this:
Date:1/5/16 Shares: -3.27 Total: -3.27 Type:Redemption Memo:(Imported) Distributed Interest Income from XYZ

If I manually make that change in the transaction register, the value of my sweep account correctly drops to zero.

I've seen this behavior in more than one Vanguard account.

Can you please take a look?

Thanks
Bill
quercus

Postby Mark » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:28 am

Hi Bill,

Is that $3.27 accrued interest you paid for the purchase of XYZ bond? If so, I would agree that should be a redemption instead of a purchase out of your money market. Can you retrieve transactions for this account from this date range again, and just cancel at the "Preview Importing Transactions" screen? After this, either take a look at your log files, or email them to me, and I will take a look. See the "xmldump.txt" file in this folder:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Fund Manager
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:20 pm

Hi Bill,

Thanks for pointing out this problem, and the sample test file. We see the same problem, and have identified the issue in the program. It is a bug, which we will fix for the next release (2016.14.4).
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:14 pm

Hi Bill,

We've just released an update to Fund Manager in order to address this bug. You can download 2016.14.4 from our download page now. Please let me know if you still have any issues after installing this new version.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby quercus » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:16 am

Hi Mark,

Good news/bad news I'm afraid. The original problem does seem to be fixed by the new FM version.

But now the reconciliation wizard is acting up. In my Vanguard brokerage accounts, none of the fixed income securities are showing the correct number of shares in the wizard. For example, the reconciliation screen for a $1,000 CD shows Fund Manager = 10.000000 but Statement = 9.996720.

Vanguard's website has a link that lets you download OFX data as a CSV file. It shows whole integers for all of my CDs and Treasuries. Shouldn't that match the Statement column in the reconciliation wizard?

Incidentally, the wizard seemed to work fine a few days ago. I successfully reconciled my accounts shortly before I started this thread.

- Bill
quercus

Postby Mark » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:10 am

Hi Bill,

After you reconcile, if you go look in your "xmldump.txt" file there should be a section that starts with "INVPOSLIST". If you look for your security in question in there, what does it show for "UNITS"?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby quercus » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:46 am

Weird...

I reconciled again this morning, and everything worked fine.

All of the INVPOS units in xmldump are whole integers, for example "UNITS (1000.0)"

But I happened to save an xmldump from my reconcile attempts last night. In that one, the same CUSIPs are all fractional, for example "UNITS (999.98)"

Don't know what's going on, but at the moment everything's fine and I'm not able to reproduce the problem.
quercus

Return to General