Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Master portfolio

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby yakrik » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:37 pm

I have a Master Portfolio with several sub portfolios. But I would like to make a new master portfolio as a separate entity. The wizard does not seem to allow that in that a new portfolio can only be saved as a sub portfolio. What might I be missing?
yakrik

Postby Mark » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:36 pm

Hi yakrik,

You can either create a new portfolio file (*.mm4) with a whole separate sub-portfolio hierarchy, or you can create another level in your hierarchy. To create a new *.mm4 portfolio file, just use "File / Save Portfolio As...".

A portfolio file (*.mm4) saves all your sub-portfolios, and which investments belong in each sub-portfolio. You can create as many *.mm4 files as you want, but it usually works best to just have a single portfolio file, and use sub-portfolios and hierarchy.

Within a given portfolio file the sub-portfolio hierarchy has only 1 top-most sub-portfolio. You can create as many layers in that hierarchy as you want though. So, if you have something like this:

Code: Select all
- Master Portfolio
  - Acct 1
  - Acct 2

and you want to create another layer, you could do something like:

- My Top
  - Master Portfolio 1
    - Acct 1
    - Acct 2
  - Master Portfolio 2
    - Acct 3
    - Acct 4

You can rename any sub-portfolio to anything. The name "Master Portfolio" is just the default name for your top-most sub-portfolio, but you can name it whatever you want.
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby glb » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:07 am

It seems that there is only one 'Master Portfolio' available (that can be renamed if wished). Is it possible to have 2 separate master portfolios? - I am thinking of one renaming the existing Master Portfolio as 'Family Investments' with separate sub portfolios and another for my Watchlists or do my watchlists have to be maintained as a sub portfolio under the 'Family Investments' Master Portfolio?
glb

Postby Mark » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:26 am

Hi glbrookes,

You can have as much hierarchy as you want, and any sub-portfolio can be named anything you want. There is always 1 top of the hierarchy though. There is nothing special about the term "Master Portfolio", it is just the default name of your top level sub-portfolio in the hierarchy. You might want to do something like this:
- All My Stuff
  - Family
    - Acct 1
    - Acct 1
  - Watchlists
    - List 1
    - List 2

This way, your watch lists are not part of your family holdings. Use the Portfolio Editor to create/manage all these sub-portfolios. You might like to watch this tutorial to help with this:

https://youtu.be/p-yjqwyGHtM
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General