Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Overall Slowness

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby gcm223 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:07 am

Over the past three months I have noticed that the Fund Manager program runs extremely slow in certain spots. I am running Advisor 2014 13.7

-When first opening the program, it take a lot of time for the program to respond - Sometimes it even says "Not Responding" in the upper left corner.
-When I download transactions from Schwab they seem to run fine, but when I go to exit, if I hit the finish button, it goes to that Not Responding status again and lags but eventually updates the transactions.
-When I run the Bulk reconciliation, fix a transaction, or process a manual transaction, if I hit the "finish" button, the system goes to that "Not Responding" lag status. But, if I just hit the "X" in the upper right corner of the window, the system does do the update or transaction and there is no long lag time.

I hope I gave you enough information on this issue.
gcm223

Postby paulk » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:45 am

Hi

I'm sure Mark will get back to you quickly as he always does but I wanted to share my experience.

I have found that using fields in the Portfolio Editor view that are calculation extensive tends to slow the program down. Multiple Unrealized Gains or Tax Basis fields slowed my program down a lot. Once I trimmed down the Portfolio Editor view a bit the program performed better.

Obviously a large number of open investments and price / transaction history will slow it down as well.

I'm using the Advisor version as well.

Hope this helps.
paulk

Postby Mark » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:32 am

Hi gcm223,

It could be the amount, and which fields, you have in the Portfolio Editor window as paulk mentioned, or it could be some open reports or graphs. You may have a bunch of reports open, but in the background. Each time you change some recorded data, all your open reports/graphs/portfolio editor all have to be re-calculated. So, look under the top level "Windows" menu to see a list of your open windows. You can use "Window / Close all Reports/Graphs" to close all of them at once. Basically, close all the extra windows, and see if that fixes the problem. If you still have the Portfolio Editor open, but no other windows, and the problem persists, try closing the Portfolio Editor window. You can try this technique until you find out what is causing the slowness. A common problem is that each time a user wants to see a report, they go to the Reports menu, creating a new report, and not realizing that report is already open, where you can access it from the Window menu. See this FAQ:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/faq ... kering.php
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby gcm223 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:25 am

Mark

The problem occurs at many points in the program. The first being when I open the program. This morning I opened the program, entered my password and it took 58 seconds before the list of the accounts appeared.

The only "window" open when I did the daily transaction download from Schwab was the main window. When I did the bulk reconciliation it took 45 seconds to process.

Why does the program hang up and process so slow when I click the "finish" button when leaving the reconciliation screen or when I leave after changing or posting a manual transaction, but if I click the "X" to close the window, the window closes instantaneously? The changes are processed whether I hit "finish" or the "X" to close the window.
gcm223

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:51 am

Hi gcm223,

Are you sure you only have 1 window open? Just because you are only viewing 1 window, doesn't mean there aren't more open. If you look at the "Windows / Close all Reports" command, is it grayed out? If not, choose it. Same thing with "Windows / Close all Graphs".

The "X" in the upper/right corner of a window cancels the operation, it is different from "Finish", which does complete the operation.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby gcm223 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:38 am

There is only one window open when I am in the program, but the problem begins just getting in to the program. Once I enter my password, the slowness begins.

And when I use the X, it does complete the change I was making. I just tested it. I changed a dividend amount and hit the X. It processed instantly. I changed it back and clicked the "finish" button and it processed but took 53 seconds to process.

No other windows open and the "Windows / Close all Reports" is grayed out.
gcm223

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:45 am

Hi gcm223,

Why don't you give me a call at the office here, and we can do a short web conference, so we can look at the problem together, on your computer.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby paulk » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:26 pm

Mark

If you do find a "fix" and it is not specific to the original poster's file can you post the results here? I'm always looking for ways to speed the program up a little. Thank you sir!
paulk

Postby Mark » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:30 pm

Hi paulk,

Sure thing, I'll post whatever I learn.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby gcm223 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:01 am

Mark has fixed the slowness!!!

I had the Cost Basis column open in the Portfolio Editor. It wasn't necessary.

Once that was removed, the program ran as fast as ever.

I can still use the cost basis column, but I only include it on certain reports.

Great Job Mark!! THANKS!!
gcm223

Postby Bosox13 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:16 pm

I am also having this problem, and it seems like it is from 1 account through Schwab. I removed cost basis and I made sure reports were cleared. Is there anything else that I can do?

THanks
Bosox13

Postby Mark » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:19 pm

Hi Bosox13,

What specifically do you see as the problem? Is some particular window/operation slow? What version are you using, and what are you doing when you see the problem?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Bosox13 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:28 am

The slowness happens after I update transactions (import). Or if I make any changes to the investments inside of that portfolio. Also general slowness on opening file/saving file, etc. It seems that the slowness on other sub-portfolios is pretty quick, but opening, saving, etc. always get the "Not Responding". It updates transactions very quick, but once I click "finish" button to accept the downloaded transactions, it goes into "Not Responding" - which takes 1+ min to resolve - I don't hit anything.

The one thing I have done is copied portfolios/accounts where they are located in 2 different areas under the "master portfolio". I do not know if this has any bearing on slowness. However the Schwab account is not copied anywhere else.

Vanguard accounts accept transactions quickly vs Scwhab.

I sometimes will get a 2-3 sec delay clicking on sub-portfolios(Vang/Scwab/etc.) when I try to open them as well.

Thanks for all your help.

Using Professional 2014.13.3
Quote Mod: 494
Trans Mod: 218
Bosox13

Postby Mark » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:14 am

Hi Bosox13,

If you close all open graph and report windows, and edit your Portfolio Editor so it only has basic things like Name/Symbol/Shares in the list view, and then try again, does that make a difference? See the top level "Window" menu to close any open reports/graphs. From within the Portfolio Editor, use "View / List Columns..." to remove fields from the list view. If you can get it back working normal again, you can then slowly add reports/graphs back in, and see if one in particular is causing the slowness. When you open/close investments or update the data, existing graphs/reports/portfolio editor fields must all be updated, and it sounds like that is when you're seeing the slowness. Also, you do not have the latest update for your version. You can get 2014.13.8 by going here:

https://www.fundmanagersoftware.com/download_old_fm.php
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby Bosox13 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:49 am

Thanks alot. I think the version did it. I had installed new versions, but I have the file "pinned to taskbar" and always open it that way. When I do that, it would always grab the older version of the file (14.3.3 vs 14.3.8) bc I keep the file and data on Onedrive to work from home and work. Once I updated, I clicked on the file in the taskbar, and it still said 14.3.3. Once I corrected it and opened the 14.3.8, it works great. Anybody using Onedrive/cloud service and "pinning to taskbar" should check on this, bc they might be using older version each time as i was.

Thanks for your quick reply Mark!

Austin
Bosox13

Return to General