Fund Manager
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE
Contact Us

Date Driven Alerts?

General questions about using Fund Manager that do not fit into any other forum.

Postby B2B_Investing » Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:58 am

Hello Mark,

I have several non-CUISP ladders and am trying to setup date-based alerts to review the investments prior to renewal.

I tried setting an alert with a future date and a price below the original price ($1) thinking that would trigger it. Since the price is carried forward for the value calculations, I thought it would for the alert as well; however, that does not appear to be the case. Do you have any thoughts on how to accomplish this?

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:34 am

Hi Jason,

This isn't something we have support for now. You could just use your calendar, and have it remind you. Although this would be separate from Fund Manager it is an option...
Thanks,
Mark
Fund Manager - Portfolio Management Software
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:00 am

Thanks Mark.

That was plan B; I was hoping for something to keep all of the alerts centralized in FM. It would be a nice addition to a future version if not too much trouble.

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:43 am

Hi Jason,

Okay, thanks for the idea/feedback.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:30 am

Hello Mark,

Just to ping on this again and elaborate without posting strategy on the forum. I will send you an email with some additional details.

A date driven alert would assist with important fixed income type investments that are not supported by FM. I am not sure it is practical to manage the FI transactions from the above, however, it would be very helpful to have centralized the management of the reminders for these in FM. Trying to manage calendar reminders / tasks in Outlook for this is hard because something gets missed. Frankly it would be easier to scan through the investment's "alerts" to verify there is a future date based alert when there is a renewal period or another date driven investment action required.

Just a thought for a relatively simple but a high value add feature.

Thanks again for an excellent program.

Jason
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:45 am

Hi Jason,

I just took a closer look at this again, and it seems as though you should be able to do this now with the alerts, as you mentioned in the original post. If you create a new alert that crosses above a fixed price of 0 at the desired date, when you record a price after that date, you should get reminded. What was the problem you originally ran into with using this method?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Postby B2B_Investing » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:55 am

Hello Mark,

I set up the investment with a price of $1. The alert was to trigger after a certain date when the price was above $0.90. It makes sense that an updated price would need to trigger the logic; however, since these investments do not have a CUISP there is not a source for prices. I was looking for another way to trigger the alert and by date only seemed a potential option. I am not sure of the implications within the code.
B2B_Investing

Postby Mark » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:37 am

Hi Jason,

I see, yes, you would need to record a price after the specified date in order for the alert to trigger. If you can't retrieve the price from the broker (as part of a transaction download), or from any of the supported quote servers, then I can see how this method won't work to give you these alerts.
Thanks,
Mark
Mark
Site Admin

Return to General